Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NJSignMan

DT lines for largemouth bass?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I recently read an article online (not SOL) where the author recommended using DT lines for LMB. With the sale on them at Orvis I'm tempted. If it matters this would be on a 6/7wt rod. I do have a DT that I've used for trout, but that is a 6wt. I was thinking of going to a 7wt or perhaps even an 8.

Any thoughts? I'd be mainly fishing from a yak so long casts aren't necessary. I'm fine with the WF-7 that I am currently using (not Lefty K fine, but good enough for me wink.gif ), but the line starting to show it's age.

Thanks!

The idea of using DT lines is really if your roll casting all the time .. I only used them in the very begining stages of my fly fishing career and soon switched to wf lines then to bass bug taper lines.

I'll have to try to track down that article again. I don't recall him saying much about just roll casting. That's the problem with the internet, there is just TOO much stuff to wade through.

Although......there is this one pond behind my Mom's house where I can't get any kind of back cast due to trees, bushes, the usual. I can only use spinning gear there and it's loaded with bass. Hmm, for $12 it might be worth experimenting.

For 6/7 rod DT6 should give best overall performance and when WF is used it should be 7. Personal preferences can vary but when DT is one lighter than WF it does not overload rod too bad when there is close to 50ft of line out.

For roll casting most Spey lines are much better than DT and it is a fact nowadays.

DT is good when accurate and long casts are needed and there is enough back cast room. However flys which have a lot of wind resistance make that approach challenging.

Buy those cheap DT lines because they are good material to build special taper lines and shooting heads. Perhaps 25ft of DT8 welded/spliced to DT5 (where you already cut 25ft for 4wt shooting head) is great to cast LMB flys.

And a DT which is two or even three wt lower than rod is very good for distance casting practice.

Esa

You can roll cast DT8 in places where isn't much room behind you with your rod but if you want cast longer than 40ft it becomes hard. When you take perhaps 28ft of DT8 and use some sort of shooting line like 30lbs mono behind it you can shoot significantly longer than when you try to shoot thick and heavy level section of DT.

AS jnicosia said, the DT vs WF thing is mainly about roll casting. Even then, there is a lot of mythology to it. There are three reasons thatare usually touted for the superiority of DT lines; 1) Roll Casting, 2) carrying more weight in the air for longer casts.

My take on these are :

1) You can roll cast a WF line just as easily as a DT line until you get part of the running line outside the the rod tip. Up until that point the physics is exactly the same for the two types of line.

Common head lengths for 7wt DT lines are 30-40 ft. As an example, take a head length of 30 feet plus a 6 foot leader and a 9 foot rod and add up the lengths. You can roll cast 45 feet with any 7wt WF line. If you want to roll cast more than 50 or 55 feet, you might want to go with the DT line, otherwise, there really is no advantage. Where I live, there is no reason to roll cast more than 50 feet. With largemouth fishing out here, the casts are typically much shorter.

2) Carrying a lot of line in the air may be beneficial if you don't like to shoot line, but it is much faster and easier to simply shoot the line. Most largemouth fishing doesn't require long casts so this is generally a theoretical argument for thiss type of fishing. Some also argue that a heavier line helps when casting heavy, bushy flies, but unless you are casting distances much longer than 50-55 feet where you get enough DT line outside the rod tip to actually make a difference, you could simply use a heavier WF line, too

3) Swapping ends of the line when one end gets trashed can be an advantage if you are fishing areas of heavy cover and brush.

There is no real differences to the DT except the swapping ends bit. If you are making really short casts, go up one line weight in either DT or WF, if you are not gettting enough loading for your taste. Another option is a Bass taper line (already mentioned by jnicosia). These are generally heavily front loaded WF lines that can handle the short to medium range casts with larger flies that are often the staple of bass fisherman.You can also try out the 6wt DT with bass flies as long as they aren't too large. See how you like it prior to dropping the cash. LMB are great fun on a 6wt.

I was on the orvis site this morning intending to get one of thier DT lines - my thinking is that for $12 it's worth a shot.

Anyway, I saw that they have thier Saltwater Hy-Flote WF Floating Fly Line on sale for $19. So instead of the DT I think I'll replace my OLD 7WF with one of these in a #8.

Does anyone have experience with these lines? I'm guessing that if it can turn over large SW flies, throwing poppers, etc. for largemouth should work as well.

I've used the hy flote lines and took a striper on one in WF7F just last night. They are good lines and on par with the cortland 333's and other mid level lines.

FWIW, in reference to your original question, a DT line has a place in LMB fishing. Namely when fishing heavier bugs, the longer belly supports the cast (from collapsing) better. Also since line weights are measured on teh first 30' only, having 45' of a DT in the air is roughly the equivalent of having 45' of a higher line size in the air. (i.e. It's like over lining for longer casts)

p.s. Cut 2' of the front end of any of these lines to get your bugs turning over better.

hth