Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gethooked

CBBT Cobia fishing

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Haven't been yet but most is sight fishing around the islands of CBBT buck tails w/ plastic shad...they also anchor up around hampton blue point rock? chumming, eels, menhaden. Buoys along entrance channels of the ches. bay. strap a ladder to get more height...lot's of bait last wkend & temps are HOT so action should be picking up...good luck ,fishing is good..don't forget the spade fish at 3 rd island, fresh clams and sm. hooks! big fun

Fished for three days in the usual haunts last weekend. Nothing.(had one swim up behind the boat and sniff the chum bag, wouldn't bite)

Water temps Right at 80 (at ~86/7 they'll turn off)

This weekend should be better (new moon or full moon are the best)

You can sight cast to them (big white bucktails or live eels. ALWAYS keep a big bucktail rigged on a pitch rod. Sometimes when you hook one, another one will follow it to the boat)

You can fish on the bottom and chum (preferred unless you have a tower, I have bungied a ladder to the consol, steered with my feet, not recommended in rough water!)

Use a medium stiff rod and a reel with a good drag (I go light, 15# line, 7' one piece fast action, Diawa 40 and Quantum 425's) Chum with Bunker, bait with Bunker, 8/0 hook snelled with around 3' of 80# leader, ~4' of double line fishfinder rig, enough weight to hold bottom (3 to 8 oz)

Bluefish Rock is a good spot on that side, also on either side of the rivers up to Gwynns Island. On the other side, Latimer and all of the creek mouths up to Saxis. Fish on an edge, 13 to 25'.