Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Riddler

Attention for those who fish Deer Island Winthrop MA

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Caution

I just got a call from a buddy of mine who was fishing with his kayak and came in about 5am this morning, only to find his truck was gone from Deer Island MWRA Parking Lot. He figured it was stolen. He called Winthrop PD and they referred him to call the Mass State Police Barracks in Revere MA. The Trooper told him his truck and many others were towed for parking after sunset. ***? He had to take a taxi cab to Revere to pick his truck up. Not only that, he came back to find his kayak pillaged of everything he could not fit into the taxi cab. His paddle was stolen along with lip gripper and tackle box full of plugs. Over 500 dollars worth of gear,including the 125 dollar police tow fee. mad.gif

This is news to me that you cannot park after sunset at Deer Island "PUBLIC" parking lot. Over 20 years I've been fishing this area and it's a shock. Even when Deer Island was a prison, you would pull over on the Causeway and fish off the old concrete pillar and slam fish. Never harassed...never.

To lose this access after dark would be absolutely devastating to North Shore Fisherman and visitors who like to fish here.

I'm going to make calls to the MWRA and Mass State Police this week to get answers. If anyone has contacts within the MWRA the fishermen of New England need your help.

I have seen more broken glass in the parking lot this year then years past. There have been always kids partying up here as well, nothing new. It's possible that the Mass State Police was tired of the calls and complaints and enforced the no parking rule that was never enforced.

This absolutely sucks. How can you concentrate on fish and not know if your vehicle will be there when you get back? mad.gif

That certainly is bad news.....not only the parking restriction, but also the stolen fishing gear.

As far back as I can recall, when I fished that area years ago, it was always open to fisherman. It would be a real shame if it was now off limits.

We all would be interested in what the authorities have to say, Riddler.

Just got off the phone with a trooper from Revere Barracks. He told me to visit the MWRA website and here is what I found:

Deer Island features five miles of public walkways and trails for walking, jogging, sightseeing, picnicking, fishing and bicycling. The public access area is open to the public year-round, from sunrise to sunset. At Deer Island you'll also find:

• 60 acres of open space, including 2.6 miles of paved handicapped accessible perimeter path;

• 10 landscaped overlooks, a 6-boat mooring basin, interpretive signage, and future Native American and Irish memorials;

• Dramatic views of the Boston skyline and Harbor Islands;

• Spectacular closeups of airport landings and takeoffs;

• Elevated look-in locations to learn about the new treatment plant;

• A memorial to the late Judge A. David Mazzone;

• Low maintenance, native plant species similar to those of other Harbor Islands.

He said there was an increase of complaints for noise, Beach fires, and car break ins. mad.gif

What a shame....there has to be a way to get a parking permit. It's worth calling up MWRA to get some answers but right now we are screwed. frown.gif

you might want to give a call to the mayor's office. How long has those regulations been in affect. Had they been in force and they just now decided to enforce it . Put in a call to Eddy Nowack from the Fishermen and see if he can help

View Post.... Put in a call to Eddy Nowack from the Fishermen and see if he can help

Riddler.....that was an area that Eddy fished hard in his younger days many years ago and it holds a special spot in his heart 'cause it put food on the table during the hard times.

He would most certainly be interested in what's happening and he has many contacts throughout the area.

Riddler, another person to call is Pete Santini at Fishing FINatics in Everett for info and/or help. I'm sure Pete is aware, or soon may be, of what's happening at Deer Island. His input into the matter would be valuable.

Wow, that's a shocker. I fished there a few years ago, fairly often...last year not so much.

Actually I was going to go tonight to see what's up (first time this year at DI).

Insane...I would have been hosed for sure. I hope the guy gets his stuff back! Who do we write, email, etc?

We are getting this f-ing fishing license next year...we should get free parking passes! I really hope to get something out of the registry.

Thanks for the intel/update.

I will send some emails tomorrow.

Chris

Backup plan for Deer Island Night Owls up to 1 AM

You can park off Tafts Ave. legally starting at Maryland and Townsend up till 1am without a permit. Winthrop has a resident only parking ban after 1am (1am-5am).

There is special consideration for temp pass. Not sure if it will work but it's worth a shot.

CONSIDERATION:

If you are planning an event and are expecting more overnight parking than is permitted by your visitor permit, you may request consideration. Consideration simply means that the resident parking restriction will not be enforced on the night of your event. Consideration requests must be submitted in writing, either by letter, online or fax. Requests must include the applicant's name, telephone number, reason for the request, location, dates, and registration numbers for those vehicles for which you are asking consideration.

Consideration requests must be submitted to the Police Department at least one full business day prior to the dates of consideration and must be approved by the Chief of Police.

Consideration only applies to a waiver of the resident parking sticker. All other restrictions will continue to be enforced.

To apply for a temporary parking permit for Winthrop if you plan on leaving your car after 1am use this link:

http://www.town.winthrop.ma.us/Pages...asurer/parking

Use your head when parking around these side streets. Keep the noise down and keep quiet like you live here. You don't want to lose this parking. Hopefully this is temporay until we can try and sort out a plan with Mass State Police and MWRA. To lose access here at night will be devastating for all fishermen and women.

I took the drive up and looked around. This would add about a 10 minute walk to the parking lot. Not bad.

If any of these side streets adjacent to Tafts Ave. has "Private" this means don't park there. Read the signs. If there are any changes I will let you guys know.

Deer Island is a fabulous place to fish. If there is anyone here with a canal bike or bike set up for transporting fishing stuff, Deer Island has a paved road with many prime fishing areas to stop and cast. Not as much area as the canal but enough to get some productivity and bang some fish out.

Whatever you bring in, carry it out and use the cans. If the recycling bin is still up for line, use that too.

View PostWow, that's a shocker. I fished there a few years ago, fairly often...last year not so much.

Actually I was going to go tonight to see what's up (first time this year at DI).

Insane...I would have been hosed for sure. I hope the guy gets his stuff back! Who do we write, email, etc?

We are getting this f-ing fishing license next year...we should get free parking passes! I really hope to get something out of the registry.

Thanks for the intel/update.

I will send some emails tomorrow.

Chris

It is a bummer. The way it stands now you can park there. There is not a sign hanging around that will tell you other. You just don't know if your car will be there when you get back.

Seriously?

A ten minute walk, parking only until 1 AM, and the risk of pissing off the locals?

Wow....what a gracious accommodation they've gone and made for us. Almost seems custom tailored to put an end to fishing in the area entirely.

I'd hoped to spend alot of time fishing Deer Island for the Fall run. Doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Let me know when they pull their heads out of their collective posteriors and are interested in the cash I spend around that area getting coffee, food, bait, etc.

happened to me (several times)at castle island too.. few years ago.. they started to enforce the parking laws. I stopped fishing there shortly after.. no more shore cod at night..

riddler i have a few friends in the MWRA.. I will let them know.. they just fixed up the nut island pier and lights.. they are fishermen friendly.. but this is not as easy as something like maintenance or work to be done. This is a policy change........... .

if your going to call the mayor.. have him open long island again. he use to run an annual fishing derby (last 2 years) on the island.. then he stopped. Used the 9/11 reason.

View PostLet me know when they pull their heads out of their collective posteriors and are interested in the cash I spend around that area getting coffee, food, bait, etc.

It's the best route that I could find. I came up with it after driving up there and looking around for idea. The pickings are slim, be grateful you have that.

It has nothing to do with Winthrop, MA. It's the MWRA. This town has been getting the shaft from the MWRA for a long time. In return we get **** on. Literally.

Thanks for the post. I will send today. Access is a HUGE issue with me...as I feel that most communities really limit my ability to acess "their" shoreline. IF there is acess, then there's no parking (resident only stickers, etc).mad.gif