Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FinS 32

Frustrated

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Sorry I need to vent. mad.gif I was just splining a blank and it snapped about a foot from the tip. it was a clean cut break too. Now I half to go yell at mudhole to get a new one. Does anyone know why this might have happened

The blank might have been defective. But I woudl guess that you spined it improperly. If oyu grabbed the tip and pulled it 90 dregees with your other hand holding the middle of the blank, effectively high sticking it.

No, I spined it the regular way. On the table, Holding near the butt and rolling it with my hand the way I was taught to do It. I figured that it was defective though because The break was a straight line and It happened with little pressure

SOunds like the blank was screwed up. The majority of people I talk to that pop blanks spining thm, are doing it exactly the way I described. I popped a batch of GUSA's a few years ago doing it that way

I jerk blanks around reasonably hard before I do anything to them, for exactly the reason Zim suggests: it's a whole lot better finding out a blank is defective at the beginning, rather than after you've put 15 hours of labor into it.

Defective blanks happen. Getting a replacement shoudn't be a problem. And if Mudhole doesn't want the damaged blank back - and they might not - then you can use the broken blank to do all kinds of fun experiments (and you don't have to feel guilty, because the blank was effectively free). I've learned a lot doing stuff to broken blanks that I would have been too afraid to do on a blank that I paid money for. Wanted to know how to cut a blank, but been too afraid to do it? This blank would be a perfect specimen to try.