Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vikram

Penn 550 SSg with 11 ft Penn Spinfisher

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and to introduce myself I'm from India and highly interested in Surf fishing.

I got myself the following rod-reel pair Penn 550 SSg with 11 ft Penn Spinfisher since not much options are available where I stay.

But unfortunately I have being reading lately that these products are "Junk" which make me feel low. So kindly put forward your opinion (even if they are harsh it would be a good learning).

I'd be engaging in light surf fishing from rocks and sandy beaches, that's what I plan otherwise don't know what's waiting for me in the blues.smile.gif

If you cant find gear in your area, fish what you have now.....just watch getting sand in your reel, wash it after you fish the beach with freshwater. Welcome to SOL!

If it is hard for you to get stuff where you live, check out the Buy sell trade forum. There is some really good stuff in there you might want to consider. I agree about the reel being too small. what is the lure rating on the rod?

There are on-line tackle shops worldwide. I knew guys in Swden who shopped at BPS.

I also agree with the next size up or two reel. I used to use a 750 on my 11 footer

Thanks for all the views but still my doubt is there. I'll get a smaller rod may be a 7 or 8ft . But about the 550SSg reel, how does it perform since I just got it two days back and don't have any idea. Is it worth the money spent (70USD) since there are really some nasty reviews about it which I dont care much unless I know its given by pro's. So whats your say on the reel aspect.

Also I checked out the trade section, its very good.Thanks for it.

i heard penn ssg series makes quite problems... like i heard they don't go well with braided line, the frame broke, line twist, bail malfunction, that kind of stuffs.. its just the stuffs that ive heard from others so don't take %100

The Penn 550SSG from China can be a little rough with braid. I have gotten mine tamed, but it wasnt easy. The Older US 550SS I never had a braid issue with.

The 550SSG is very much too small for 11ft rod. You would match that with at 750SSM or something. If these items are not available, you can still fish it im sure, it will have an odd balance.

Maybe try out some 20# Fireline or something. If you are gentle with the cast, you may be ok with normal braid. its tough, it was hard for me with that particular reel and 30# power pro

good luck to you sir

I caught my first keeper striper and plenty of blues on a 550ssg - no problems. Keep it as dry as possible, rinse it after each use, don't get sand in it, and it should serve you well. Also, I had problems with braid at first, but after it settled in and i took a few yards off, it did fine - probably overfilled the spool.

Vikram, I own a few SSG's, and they are good reels. Just clean and lube it

after fishing the salt. You should be happy with the reel. It is not junk!

I do agree with the others that there is a mismatch in the size of the reel with

your rod. Fish with what you have for a while and then buy a shorter rod.

View PostThanks for all the views but still my doubt is there. I'll get a smaller rod may be a 7 or 8ft . But about the 550SSg reel, how does it perform since I just got it two days back and don't have any idea. Is it worth the money spent (70USD) since there are really some nasty reviews about it which I dont care much unless I know its given by pro's. So whats your say on the reel aspect.

Also I checked out the trade section, its very good.Thanks for it.

when you fish you can't worry about not getting your moneys worth. 70 bucks is a great price for a decent reel. As us surfisherman get more advanced and crazywink.gif we will spend any where from $200 to $1000 and up. Don't worry too much about your equipment and focus on catching fish