Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lv2huntandfish

Fished under Fireworks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Went fishing with my dad last night to our usual spot in southern maine. We worked hard for 4 fish all on unweighted sluggos. When we arrived we thought we were going to slay them. The water was extremely flat with the sun just starting to go down. I dont know what the deal has been with the last 4 days. We are not catching double digit numbers like we were on the last good set of outgoing tides. I think it has to do with the moon. We were fishing at night with a nice bright moon and now there is no moon. Why am I seeing people talk about how good the fishing should be with the full moon? Why is it good? I have never really got into fishing only under certain conditions other than the right tide, but I just throw the stuff in the truck and drive to the ocean and fish.

Fishing is better near the new moon. Not the full. But that being said there are many other factors that can cancel that out too. Near the new moon are the bigger tides, which moves more bait around. And at night stripers are better feeders when there is no light. So a new moon is actually preferred. At least that is how I understand it.

I'm still learning how to fish for them at night too and I have been doing it for years. So many factors and theories; sometimes you just need to get out and fish. Ya know what I mean?

I know what you mean. Hopefully they are biting tonightcool.gif I was under the impression that fish hit better under a bright moon because they can see a silhouette or maybe I have it backwards.

I have found the new moon=good full moon=bad train of thinking to not really apply to river mouths. I have done as good on either set of tides because of the extra water that moves during those moon phases.

Sand Eels moved in heavy to my stomping grounds and the number of fish I land has gone way down. They are still there, you just have to move around find where they are actively feeding.

I think it has more to do with the brightness of the moon on the water more than what phase the moon is in, in my experience bright nights = slow fishing. Some of my best nights are around new moon but I have done equally well if not better on nights that are cloudy and the moon doesn't shine threw. Just my 2 cents.

Overall done better on the new moon phase.But have had a few awesome full moon phase days/nights. Alot depends on what water your fishin. Beach/ocean=new moon

Inland=full moon

But then again there's always the exception to the rule.Rule of thumb.never get locked into one way of thinking.

I've done well on both new and full too, but new seems more reliable under just about any condition. Most of my good full moon nights have been foggy, raining, windy, and rough, so you don't get the really bright light, but you still get the increased current flow.

Thanks everyone for the insight. Three of us went and fished from 9-12 last night and I was the only one to land a fish. I also missed two others. Fish was around 25/26 and released. Water was like glass once again. Gonna give it a break for a couple days then hit it again early sunday morning.

I'd pick a new moon over a full moon anyday, simply for the cover of darkness which I believe is my most successful factor in all striper fishing. I almost never fish bright sunlight/daytime. But both higher and lower tides can be better for specific spots. Caught my biggest this season with a bright moonlit clear sky overhead, it was a very low tide and this exposed an extra bit of sand further then I had been before allowing me to cast into deeper water (the tide was slack). I've noticed slower action for myself over the past week which I believe might be less fish migrating and prolonged high pressure/heat wave. This weekend is a new moon and the temperature will drop...I can't wait!!

I agree the new moon is better because it's darker and the fish are less picky--- however, nothing is cooler than fishing under a full moon, it's so pretty you don't care the fishing's slow!

One of my most fun nights was casting to rising fish, then when they hit and I'd set the hook, the water was so shallow they'd actually jump! In the full moon that was awesome!!

well my friends decided that we needed to go last night even after the marginal fishing the night before. Unfortunately for them I caught 2 and they caught none. Got down there around 10 and didnt leave until 1:30. Seemed like a little bit more tide movement. The two fish I caught were 22" and a chunky 28" Caught these guys on a rocky flat with 9" inch sluggos. Missed 2 other fish one of which seemed like a bruiser the way he exploded on the sluggo. I will say the stripers are liking the sluggos dead sticked. The fast action on has not been the ticket lately cwm13.gif Casting it out and twitching it a few times then reeling it real slow. Heard a little more activity farther out of casting range. I think it is going to pick up again smile.gif

not sure where you are fishing but at night try using live eels. Should pick things up for you. Cast and reel them in weightless as you would do a sluggo only slower.