Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

A thicker Pencil....

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I wanted to make my Pencils a little thicker for added bouyancy and weight so I tried this out today. I have 2 that are almost exact. ALMOST. I used calipers to try and get some consistency.

This is 7.5 inches long. You think the fatness of the Pencil will kill the action? Personally I do not, but I'm a rookie.

I have made similar ones and they walk good, but not as thick..... bit slimmer. Hate to give clunkers to the raffle. These are definetly meaty Pencils....I'm putting an ounce of lead in the ass.

Let me know if you think anything is wrong here. If you guys wouldn't fish it say so.

Prime it and take it for a test swim.... let the fish be the judgesmile.gif.... If you dont mind me asking, why have you changed the body from the last batch you did??? Are you trying to improve something or is this a specialty plug for a spot you havewink.gif...

View PostPrime it and take it for a test swim.... let the fish be the judgesmile.gif.... If you dont mind me asking, why have you changed the body from the last batch you did??? Are you trying to improve something or is this a specialty plug for a spot you havewink.gif...

Can't test it, lol. The last time I fished my Pencils, I wished they had a bit more wood to them to lift them a bit higher with that ounce of lead in them.

This is the result. The Canal moves so fast at times, that it seems to drag a pencil under here and there.

Honestly....my feelings on a Pencil is that when breaking fish are there.....any Pencil will work. These guys seems to walk side to side pretty easy too.

I'm sure these will fish fine and I think the fatter wood will resemble a fish more, but that's me over-thinking things. I know it's the splashing that makes the fish react.

The honest to god best Pencils come from lighter wood, but that wood is also MUCH more fragile I am seeing. This AYC is way tougher.

I dunno. I need more time and I GOTTA get some Pencils out to guys who fish a LOT more than me that can run these through the paces.

I'm turning into a Pencil freak, lol. Must...master.....pencil.....

Agree with Minivin, gotta let the fish decide what they want. Also agree that if they are busting bait, a lot of times its all about getting a lure out to them. Finish up those ones and take them to the canal. Fish them along with the others that you have made and see what works best in the areas you fish there. It is worth fishing them all at different parts of the tide to see what difference, if any, the tide has on the plugs. I think you are going about it the right way: stick with one plug until you have it mastered, then move on.

Jigman

You can never build a pencil thin enough. They can get to fat...cwm15.gif

Even under a full current yer pencil should not be acting like a darter.

Shape and weight , my friend, shape and weight. smile.gif

You can seal yer plugs different ways to make them "way tougher"....cwm15.gif

Keep working at it , all part of the fun.

View PostYou can never build a pencil thin enough. They can get to fat...cwm15.gif

Ratty is a wise man. You should listen to him, and then do a couple of yellow pencils in his honor biggrin.gif

Jigman

View PostYou can never build a pencil thin enough. They can get to fat...cwm15.gif

Yeah......I think these are at critical mass. Any fatter and it'd be no joy.

These 2 are for the Charity. There is no going back now. I can't test them and make more. Mike needs them for the 15th and I am gonna be pushed to finish them.

I know these will dance. I also know they could be an inch longer. I'm getting there. I can feel the plug in my hand and tell what needs to change.

I wonder if plug building turns you into a freak about the smallest things, lol.

Bah.....if I scrap these, I'm going to have to turn 2 more in 95 degrees, lol.

I forget who said it about AYC not being the best wood for Pencils, and while durable wood, I agree. It's not. The action is slower. Redwood is unreal. Quick and bouncy on top.

I'm overloaded with info.....I share these thoughts to get them out of my head. Feel free to ignore me, lol. I learned so much on vacation, I can't process it all yet.

View PostRatty is a wise man. You should listen to him, and then do a couple of yellow pencils in his honor biggrin.gif

Jigman

Mokes, I think you just got ho'd in the third personcwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

View PostI wanted to make my Pencils a little thicker for added bouyancy and weight so I tried this out today. I have 2 that are almost exact. ALMOST. I used calipers to try and get some consistency.

This is 7.5 inches long. You think the fatness of the Pencil will kill the action? Personally I do not, but I'm a rookie.

I have made similar ones and they walk good, but not as thick..... bit slimmer. Hate to give clunkers to the raffle. These are definetly meaty Pencils....I'm putting an ounce of lead in the ass.

Let me know if you think anything is wrong here. If you guys wouldn't fish it say so.

Are you do any testing in a bowl of water to see how the lure sits in the water? I hypothesize that these bigger pencils will sit more toward 45 than your other pencils and they will have less action but they will ride on top in a current better due to increased diameter rather than buoyancy. They won't cast as well either and they'll leave much bigger wakes. That's my guess.

I think's it's good to guess about this stuff before testing.

View PostHey Mokes. I never built a pencil and am wondering, don't you use any belly weight? Does the flat part of the bottom help it right itself. As a noob I am puzzled. Thanks Edheadscratch.gif

I just use a long tail weight. They cast like a rocket. They sit about vertical in the water and when I fish them I am reeling and bumping the rod tip up and down fast to make them walk side to side over the water. The action is cool.

I think the flat part helps the plug skim over the chop in the current. I'm not really sure how a Canal Style Pencil is for Surf fishing since I have never done it, but they work nice in the Cape Cod Canal due to the fact the Canal is basically a big river that changes direction every 6 hours, lol.

Think of a Pencil as a spook in it's action. I have also seen guys that just reel them straight in, but I have no idea if they ever catch fish that way.

View Post.... Does the flat part of the bottom help it right itself. As a noob I am puzzled. Thanks Edheadscratch.gif

The original canal pencils were sinkers. The flat bottom helps them to come up on top easier. They'll work well in flat water too.

Jigman

Just turned 2 more. Made them a bit thinner and from Redwood. I know these will fish and catch at least. Feel better about putting these to a good cause. (Sorry Plug+Teaser, those were the blanks I just through-drilled for you, lol........I'll be making 2 more this week bud!)

I'm going to give the 2 AYC thicker ones away after they are done to people who will agree to test them and report back the results. I just can't fish enough to know.

View PostAre you do any testing in a bowl of water to see how the lure sits in the water? I hypothesize that these bigger pencils will sit more toward 45 than your other pencils and they will have less action but they will ride on top in a current better due to increased diameter rather than buoyancy. They won't cast as well either and they'll leave much bigger wakes. That's my guess.

I think's it's good to guess about this stuff before testing.

I used to drop them in my fish tank actually, lol. These will sit more vertical, with about an inch of the nose sticking out. Some will sink if they are too thin due to the weight.

The cast awesome though. That's one thing I love about Pencils with the wind on the Cape....

I don't think casting is affected since all the lead is in the rear.

Not sure on the rest. We will have a 1 or 2 guys test them though. I will take notes and pics so I remember what I did, lol.

I turned a dozen large pencils today too, 98 degrees in the shade, 101 up on the deck...you gotta sweat for yer plugs ....and sometimes bleed tooredface.gif