Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornbread

Sticky Question

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am new to the forum (since April) and have gotten the answers to all my questions to this point from the search feature, viewing videos, and reading responses to other new members on the various luremaking subjects. I spend hours on end following threads, researching plug building process questions, and just looking at pictures of the plugs built by the guys here with awesome talent!

One thing I haven't found in the search is what is used for hook point protectors. The small 1/32" tubing I can find works good on freshwater bass lures but is too small for larger hooks and the common 1/4" stuff is too big. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

View PostI am new to the forum (since April) and have gotten the answers to all my questions to this point from the search feature, viewing videos, and reading responses to other new members on the various luremaking subjects. I spend hours on end following threads, researching plug building process questions, and just looking at pictures of the plugs built by the guys here with awesome talent!

One thing I haven't found in the search is what is used for hook point protectors. The small 1/32" tubing I can find works good on freshwater bass lures but is too small for larger hooks and the common 1/4" stuff is too big. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I must be weird I never put them things on a plug.

I think a lot of the guys use shrink tubing from the corner hardware store.

You can get at Homes or Lowe's screen splining, it comes in different diameters. It is normally grey in color, and about 25 ft per roll. Or you can try an aquarium or tropical fish store, they have air pump hose in different dia. that is clear.

Thanks for the response. I never thought of screen spline. I will check it out and the aquarium store. I looked at the aquarium tubing at wally world and they only have 1/4" where I live. I carry my lures to Church fund raisings and such and like to have the hooks protected because small kids always want to have a closer look. Thanks again. LCsmile.gif

View PostThanks for the response. I never thought of screen spline. I will check it out and the aquarium store. I looked at the aquarium tubing at wally world and they only have 1/4" where I live. I carry my lures to Church fund raisings and such and like to have the hooks protected because small kids always want to have a closer look. Thanks again. LCsmile.gif

Some guys use masking tape on the hooks too Cornbread. I had the same issue though with the Wally World tubing. Too big.

Can't PM you...go to your neighborhood hardware store...ask if they repair screens...if yes ask what they do with the spline they remove. Ask them to put it in a box for you and tell them that you'll come by and pick it up...leave a number if they want to call you...Oh, ya, tell them what you want it for and BUY a package while your there. I feel that screen spine is far superior to smooth tubing. MUCH easier to put on and WAY easier to REMOVE...ribbing makes it very easy to grip. Oh, color may also be black as well as grey.

Thanks for the response guys. The information about the screen spline having the ribs may be a winner for me. When I use the small 1/32 ID tubing it is the devil to get (partially) on the bigger hooks because its so slick. I have been using masking tape at times on the larger 8/0 hooks since the 1/4" stuff is still to big for them. Thanks again! Love this forum!

I buy 1/8th diameter Tygon tubing from McMaster-Carr. It has a 1/16 hole and 1/32 walls. It's about 7 bux for 50 feet (plus shipping) Get 2 rolls at a time to cut down the shipping$$. Cut to desired length. I have a small cup of them on my bench at all times. I used screen spline but I like the clear tubing better.

View PostI buy 1/8th diameter Tygon tubing from McMaster-Carr. It has a 1/16 hole and 1/32 walls. It's about 7 bux for 50 feet (plus shipping) Get 2 rolls at a time to cut down the shipping$$. Cut to desired length. I have a small cup of them on my bench at all times. I used screen spline but I like the clear tubing better.

Thanks Charleston. I have been looking for some of that tubing and I just placed an order.

View PostThanks Charleston. I have been looking for some of that tubing and I just placed an order.

You're more than welcome but I can't take any credit, GJohnson set me up the same way. That's what we do around here. biggrin.gif