Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ifishforbass

live lining spot

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Do not expect your bait to have a tattoo saying "BAIT" on both sides!

The fact is, ANYTHING THAT WIGGLES IS PREFERABLE TO SOMETHING THAT IS DEAD!

This means that any protein that fits inside a striper's mouth is good bait!

Spot? Tommycod? (Legal) Flounder, Bunker, Mackeral, Herring, Eels, Porgies and all the species I neglected to mention!

But the "SPORT" in "SPORTFISHING" is to make a piece of plastic, metal, or rubber, APPEAR to be alive. Live bait is like cheating! If you are fishing for FOOD, it is acceptable, but don't call it sporting!

I've never used them in the surf but spot work very well for live lining in Chesapeake Bay and other waters where they are a major bait species. They will probably work in other areas as well.

View PostI've never used them in the surf but spot work very well for live lining in Chesapeake Bay and other waters where they are a major bait species. They will probably work in other areas as well.

a tackle shop bt me on long island has them and i am woundering if i should try them

dadbigshark002.jpgWe go to ocean city nj every year over labor day .We have been netting spot in the surf and live lining them for shark.Hard to keep alive but great bait for sharks , alot in the 4ft range and we really catch alot of fish .

View Post

But the "SPORT" in "SPORTFISHING" is to make a piece of plastic, metal, or rubber, APPEAR to be alive. Live bait is like cheating! If you are fishing for FOOD, it is acceptable, but don't call it sporting!

Gonna have to disagree with the statement...

They are a GREAT bait. Fluke, Weaks, Bass - all love 'em.

Used to be one of, if not the best baits for big Weakfish at numerous inlets here in NJ when I was a kid. Spot were thick years ago and a livewell full of em meant a good time later that evening. Oh, bass loved em too.

Spot, Butterfish, Tinker macks all used to be big time, summer time baits along the Jersey Shore.

View Postdadbigshark002.jpgWe go to ocean city nj every year over labor day .We have been netting spot in the surf and live lining them for shark.Hard to keep alive but great bait for sharks , alot in the 4ft range and we really catch alot of fish .

what kind of shark is that?

It is a brown shark .We caught alot of them off the surf,would rather catch a striper but catching the browns is a lot of fun.When the bigger ones hit ,hold onto your rod.They will take a 100 yards of line before you can turn them and then you have to really crank as they can come right back at you.A couple of times guys were spooled and could not stop them.We catch them and get them back in the water quickly as I have heard that they won't last long on the sand .Great fun if the sharks are there.We fish the beaches inbetween the swimmers and you should see after we catch a big one ,no one goes back in the water for awhile Jack

View PostDo not expect your bait to have a tattoo saying "BAIT" on both sides!

Spot? Tommycod? (Legal) Flounder, Bunker, Mackeral, Herring, Eels, Porgies and all the species I neglected to mention!

do you think he said "live lining sport"? or was this an random artificial lover offshoot?

View PostDo not expect your bait to have a tattoo saying "BAIT" on both sides!

Sooooo.... drifting clam in Jones Inlet, or casting bunker head in a bunker school in captree isn't sport fishing?