Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jml90

Fresh water fisherman going to the Deleware Area

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

At the end of the month I'm going on my annual vacation to the Bethany beach area. This year I'm more into saltwater fishing than years before. What kind of gear should I be using for the surf or fishing the IRI. I just don't know what kind of rods and reels are best as I usually fish FW. I do however use larger gear like Abu 6500s and 7000s. I was thinking of picking up a used baitrunner and maybe a surf rod.

IMO for fishing the inlet you really don't neede anything over 7' or 8 foot tops. You also want a light spinning reel as the heavier ones will start to wear on your arms and wrist after a while. You would want something light such as a Stradic in the 4000 to 6000 range or a Penn in equal size.

If you are going out front to soak bait then a 10 foot rod with a baitrunner would be ok. Thats accually what I started out with but upgraded and went convential which it seems you already have so those would be ok to.

The levelwind is the only way to go if you use a conv. in the inlet. I have used small rods and also some close to 10 feet. Years ago you used max 4 oz to long line and now I heard they are using 5-6. Smaller is better for fish close. Rick

What else can I catch in the surf and in the IRI? I just don't know what to expect last year I used squid and only caught freakin' croaker they're like reeling in weeds.

I came here just to ask this exact question.

Anyway, I too am going to Bethany and Lewes this weekend and need some advice on what to use. I want to fish the IRI and some of the surf. I was thinking of using hollow belly swimbaits, jerkbaits and some larger crankbaits I have.

I don't really want to buy any new rods or reels because I will probably only fish 1 or 2 days. I have a 6'6" medium action baitcaster and an 8" spinning rod (its really a catfish rod, but I bought it last time I came to Lewes). I have 30lb braid with a 12 to 20lb flouro leader on the baitcaster. Then I have 65lb braid on the spinning rod (again could run a 12 or 20lb flouro leader).

Any other baits, times or places you'd suggest? I want to target Stripers and Kingfish (and Snook if they are in the area).

Sorry to hijack your thread jml, but I didn't want to start a new one and I figured I could let you know how I did since ill be back before you leave smile.gif

When I said that you need a bigger boat, I was talking about your equipment. Heavy freshwater will work in the inlet and casting art is on the beach. Sharks take a rod that is capable of casting am bunker head and weight to hold bottom. some use a kayak to get the bait out and stand up boat rods so you will Need A Bigger Boat. Stay to the inlet.

Rick

Jml - I'm going to IRI and the surf tomorrow. I'm taking my baitcaster and large spinning rod. Ill let you know if I have any luck and what worked! This is only my second time salt fishing so don't hold your breath wink.gif

I only tried the jetties at the IRI for a short time this morning and got nothing frown.gif I felt some squid sitting on bottom and cast swimbaits with my other rod. I think the squid got picked up but I didn't get to the rod in time... we left DE today because its just too freakin hot!

Hope you have better luck!

Swim baits, Spec rigs, Gotcha plugs, Buck tails, Live eels, Live spot and some others all will work sometime at IRI.

Fish the moving tides, but be ready on the slack too.

At night can be special at times.