Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sovine

damn crabs

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

any ideas how to keep the crabs from eating my bait i dont have a problem when fishing off the beach but in the river i fish 5 min baits gone i didnt want to really ask the bait store cause my wifes with me all the time dont want to look like i dont know what im doing out there cause i do just not how to keep bait off the botom even tryed a small fresh water bober near the hook but no prevail any help would be great thanks

If there are that many crabs there then there can't be a whole lot of Striped Bass or other fish around that would eat them.

Advice I was always given is if you're having to re-bait that often then pack it up and go somewhere else.

Not sure if you didn't want to hear that...it's just what I have been told.

Hold the rod..........(which you should be doing anyway).

With practice, you should be able to feel the crabs and take measures to move the bait away from them.

Short of that, you could use a fishfinder rig with one of those orange foam floats on your leader, but I have never been a fan of those thing.

thanks i just got done rigging one of those up for tonight i always fish the beach seems thats where all the big ones are but i have a friend who likes to fish the back river and we do catch em but all small schoolies rarelly anything over 30'' but he dont fish the beach and i like his company so i go where he wants to when we get together bring more money for bait i quess and never in 10 years fishing there off and on have i caught one on a plug i might ditch tonight and hit the beach lol thanks for the help

if you're using a heavy lead to hold bottom, rig it like a hi-lo rig, and skip the low rig. in other words, put a dropper loop up closer to your barrel swivel where your main line attaches to your leader. rig your hook on that, and attach a heavy bank sinker to the bottom. if you hold your rod tip up, this will help keep some of the crabs from crawling to your bait, although some might be able to swim to it, unless there is a bit of current. this will work. use a smaller piece of bait that will not drag your line down too much - sand eels work great for this. sea worms too.

I've fished for SB for many years using a HI/LO rig with sand eels in crab infested waters about 2 hours on the incoming. Usually the crabs feed on the higher hooked sand eels as 90% of the bass hookups are on the lower hook therefore I use 2 sand eels per hook. I've noticed over the years also that at certain tide periods when the crabs are not feeding very fast the catch rate is down, so I guess the feeding and crunching of the crabs are releasing juices that the fish pick up and follow. Just my observations, yours may vary.headscratch.gif

I love the crabs in moving slow moving water. I Just double the rods and bait and keep feeding them until they slow down which means that the bass are coming and the crabs have dug into the bottom. I Find an incoming tide works well in a river or inlet and the crabs stopping is a sign to --get ready-- I still remember pulling in three forty pound crab eaters after watching others leave because of the crabs.

Before i became an old dude an old timer showed me how to tie a second line onto the main line that had the weight on the bottom and the hook three feet up the main line then on the second line he tied a kids balloon which caused the crabs to swim up off the bottom to reach the bait and left them far from the safety of digging in the bottom to avoid Mr Bass.

Give it a try and let us know how you make out just for the heck of it.