Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dab

Maintaining metallic thread color.

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm wrapping a rod and using a metallic copper under wrap.I was disappointed after applying flex coat epoxy to the copper thread and causing it to darkened up a lot. I was wondering if there is anything could do to maintain the same luster it had before i put the epoxy on it.Any info would be appreciated.Thanks.

It depends on why it darkened. If it color showing through from the blank or whatever is under it , you can maybe paint below it white or put a wrap of something light such as a mylar sheet , etc. If it simply the wetting that makes it darker (a notorius color for this is Gudebrod navy blue that turns almost black when wet , their dark green does the same) you need to find a shade or two lighter in thread so that after it darkens do to being wet it ends up the color you want.

i did an old roddy i painted under the wraps white wrapped the guides on with red nylon that turns transparent with no CP is used. it looks really cool. you can see the guide feet and the red really pops with the white under it. sometimes its useful.

Dab,

sorry to hear your problem. My advise, as a person who works with many different colors of Met's, Nylons, and color fast's is this:

cwm15.gif

Never trust what you see on the spool. The base thread of Met's determines the outcome of the final/color. That is the core wrap alllows a certain amount of positive reflection, or a negative amount. The saturation of the finish will determine this. Simply, try out the epoxy/thread relationship previously to building a rod.

Yo, Dude, darkened copper is happening smile.gif

The Thread Tyrant!!!beatin.gif

" I will only except the finest of threads, as it is my duty"

Painting will work, but if you're lazy like me just double-wrap your underwraps. I always use size "A" metallics for my underwraps, and wrap to where I want the wrap to end, then simply reverse my direction and end-up where I started. You won't believe the difference in the color just by double-wrapping.