Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Riptide

The past week in review (REPORT)

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

The last week has been a blur. The fishing has been beyond EPIC, not really sure what comes after EPIC, but this week defines it. Most of the week was spent filming with Jose Wejebe for another Spanish Fly show. I also had a charter wedged into the middle of the filming so its been a busy week.

The Jose shoot(s) should air this coming Jan/Feb and it looks like we got enough killer footage to make two shows. The first highlight was Jose landing a 41.5# Striper ON THE FLY! This is hte biggest fly caught bass on my boat EVER and Jose's biggest striper to date period!

Josebass1.JPG

Josebass2.JPG

We also had some of the most insane tuna fishing you could imagine. I'm limited with what I can show on the tuna since we were testing new gear that is not public knowledge yet. I'll just say the next tuna show will give the first one we did a solid run for the money!

What I can talk about is the Malloy group that came back to put a spanking on the tuna again this year. If you remember last fall the two 14 year olds that did 12 tuna in one trip! Well they went BIG this time!

Malloytuna2.JPG

THe kids and their Dads wanted to do a bass trip. Wouldn't you know the bass didn't show up on this day dispite being so thick they were pests on the day prior AND the day after. Not to be deterred we had some fantastic tuna fishing.

The day started like this and never looked back!

BOOM.JPG

The group went 2 for 4 with one of the 15 year olds besting a 72"er in under an hour on a Stella/Big Gun combo SOLO.

Malloyfight2.JPG

Even the Dads got into the act!

Malloyfight1.JPG

The fish were all swam and released in the water after a quick measure.

Revive1.JPG

Revive2.JPG

Revive3.JPG

Revive4.JPG

Measure.JPG

The lures and gear used were Ron-Z's, Ocean Lures, Streamline leaders, Stella/Big Gun combo's and some super double top secret stuff Jose swore me to silence on wink.gif

This has been some of the best fishing I have ever seen and it shows no sign of slowing down. I have some openings in July after the holiday if anyone wants a shot at a bruiser tuna or a pile of topwater bass.

Congrats Jose and Terry. Was Jose's Bass EEZ or legal? Either way it's a heck of a score on fly rod. clapping.gif

View PostCongrats Jose and Terry. Was Jose's Bass EEZ or legal? Either way it's a heck of a score on fly rod. clapping.gif

Now there's a left handed compliment.shakehead.gifcwm13.gif

View PostNow there's a left handed compliment.shakehead.gifcwm13.gif

I'm sorry you feel that way Bob. It's a legitimate question. Now here is a right handed argument. biggrin.gif They could have been tossing the fly at school tuna and a big bass hit it. It happens all the time on Stellwagon in the EEZ and it's rare if it's a fly. I've caught monster bass at NWC on a squid bar while making another pass for BFT.

The SBFT world record fly was broken this past April 30 for 20lb tippet. Maybe that was Jose's goal to have Terry help him break the 20lb tippet record.

View PostI'm sorry you feel that way Bob. It's a legitimate question. Now here is a right handed argument. biggrin.gif They could have been tossing the fly at school tuna and a big bass hit it. It happens all the time on Stellwagon in the EEZ and it's rare if it's a fly. I've caught monster bass at NWC on a squid bar while making another pass for BFT.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I'm also familiar with the regs. But, IMHO the implication treads on a dangerous slippery slope.

But knowing Terry as I do, I find it hard to believe he would expose both his client and reputation to such risk is all I'm saying.

View PostI completely understand what you're saying, and I'm also familiar with the regs. But, IMHO the implication treads on a dangerous slippery slope.

But knowing Terry as I do, I find it hard to believe he would expose both his client and reputation to such risk is all I'm saying.

The question was asked to Terry and it's not a question implicating anything. Didn't realize it would look like a slippery slope.

Legit question. But the fish was WELL within the 3 mile line, as have been most in not all of my tuna. I don't fish SW bank. Too many crowds. These fish have been in 50-120' of water. We have had bass hit when fishing tuna in the deep deyond 3 miles, but since we were targeting bass we made sure we stayed inside the line.

FWIW, my Navionics chart has the 3 mile line prominantly displayed, makes it very easy to avoid any OOOPS moments.