Followers 0
HugeDinghy

difference in weight...ball park

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

1998 6 horse merc (2 stroke)

vs

1981 20 horse merc (2 stroke)

significant difference ? if I recall correctly the 80's were the heyday of weight to power ratio....headscratch.gif

looking to power up the 14'er from the 6 horse that came with it...

also any idea of difference in top end speed (was only getting 12 miles per hour out of the 6 redface.gif ) I am assuming I can get low to mid 20's mph out of the 20 horse...

View Postan 81 are you high!?cwm13.gif you better let ME take a look at if you really want it dingus.

got my buddy from CT (where it is) looking at it as we speak...doing a comp test and the whole nine.....

and no I am not high, so come over cwm15.gif

View Post1998 6 horse merc (2 stroke)

vs

significant difference ? if I recall correctly the 80's were the heyday of weight to power ratio....headscratch.gif

also any idea of difference in top end speed (was only getting 12 miles per hour out of the 6 redface.gif ) I am assuming I can get low to mid 20's mph out of the 20 horse...

Look at dingus trying to impress us with fancy terms like "power to weight ratio" biggrin.gif Next he will be asking us what the coiefficent of friction is for a 14' tinny in salt water at 68 degrees with a stiff tailwind.

If ya put a 40 on it you will be pushing 30 mph plus! Plus ya have a chance to be like the cool kids.

View PostLook at dingus trying to impress us with fancy terms like "power to weight ratio" biggrin.gif Next he will be asking us what the coiefficent of friction is for a 14' tinny in salt water at 68 degrees with a stiff tailwind.

If ya put a 40 on it you will be pushing 30 mph plus! Plus ya have a chance to be like the cool kids.

good lord a 30 would have my ass end under water! I have a little dinghy biggrin.gif

View Post1998 6 horse merc (2 stroke)

vs

If the 20hp engine is good that would be the one to go with. I had a 14'er and ran an 18hp Evinrude and got clocked going through Tivertoon basin at 30mph with my son and myself plus fishing gear. Even when I took the entire family out I got decent speed. Remember its a tin boat and with much more hp you'll crack the hull if it gets rough and you try to run at flank speed. Good luck with your choice. Pm me if you'd like to discuss it further. rel1

View PostIf the 20hp engine is good that would be the one to go with. I had a 14'er and ran an 18hp Evinrude and got clocked going through Tivertoon basin at 30mph with my son and myself plus fishing gear. Even when I took the entire family out I got decent speed. Remember its a tin boat and with much more hp you'll crack the hull if it gets rough and you try to run at flank speed. Good luck with your choice. Pm me if you'd like to discuss it further. rel1

thanks man.....

I had a 14' aluminum with a 5 hp Gamefisher that was anemic redface.gif . I put a 15hp Johnson on it and it flies highfive.gifbeers.gif. I would follow boats pulling water skiers around to take advantage of the flat water behind them and would have to run at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to keep from running the skier over. My boat was a shallow draft with nothing other than me and my equipment in it. My buddy had a 14' deep V with plywood floor that was a lot heavier and with a 25hp he boat ran very well. (I still think my boat may have been faster but he sold his before we could race for pinks icon26.gif .)

Google the engine models bonehead and you get your weight. cwm15.gif

It's also not a tinny, it's a fiberglass Great Canadian.

The 20 horse will be about 120lbs where your 6 horse is 75lbs

By yourself I bet you can get it over 30mph - that's a light boat.

Your skiff has about the same proportions as mine.

If I can get a 200lb wakeboarder up out of the water with my 25 hp Yammy, you really don't need anything over 25hp to go whipping around the bay with a cooler of ice and some fishing gear.

My 25 hp 4 stroke Yammy is about 170lbs for your reference.

I recently bought an '87 Evinrude 15 hp for my 10 ft zodiac. It weighs less than a '90 Evinrude 9.9. blitch screams along at 25 or 30 kts if your kidneys can take it.

Stay with the 2 strokes until the 4 stroke technology gets refined.

If you're looking at new, it's all 4 strokes out there now-a-days

You can order a brand new Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke onto your doorstep for $1750. Check "outboards on line" (all one word)

It's a Merc (or more accurately, a Merc is a Tohatsu...) except the Mercs make you pay extra for their advertising...