Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CTR0022

mono to steal leader knot

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

what kind of knot do yall ike to use when connecting a tyable steel leaders like tyger to mono?

Albright

surgeon

loop to loop like perfection or homer rhode

what do yall think is best?

Many ways to do this. Here's what I do - non-slip loop knot to connect the fly, then a three-turn clinch to connect to a small SPRO barrel swivel. The swivel is then added to the tippet with a clinch knot.

Caution- When tying with Tyger, Surflon Micron Supreme or Malin BOA, always pull from the tag end only. Caution - If you pull from the standing leg, the knot will end up looking like a cork screw. While the clinch will not draw down as tightly as with mono and looks a little "loose" it will hold and will not slip.

I use 26-pound Surflon for fly and spin, bluefish, Spanish and king macs, start off with an 8-inch section and when all the knots are tied, the leader ends up about 4 to 5 inches long. Tie up several leaders with the barrel swivel in place, store them in a small parts bag witha ziploc-type closure and keep them in my wading bag and on the boat. For sharks, 65-pound.

I use Albright which is easy to tie and strong. I fold 1/3'' and tie about 7 turns and there is no need to cut visible steel tip off as it seems not to stick anything.

No doubt about it. the Surgeon's Knot is the quickest. I use 3 passes rather than 2. I usually add a small snap when using wire so I can change out ripped up flies.

The Albright is good too but I think the Bristol Knot (very similar to the Albright) gives the mono a little more protection.

A fly tied way back on 5X long shank hook with a small snap is my usual choice for Spanish mackerel and Bluefish. For Cudas, Sharks and KingfishI have to go with wire.

For Tarpon and Snook (very abrasive jaws) I use 30# test Stren Dura Tuff or Berkley Trilene XT. I wish they made these monos in 50-80 and 100# test. These two are the most abrasion resistant of all mono plus they both have superior knot strength.

BTW, follow Snookfly's tying advice from his post above. He is dead on target.