Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ

Uni-Body SUV Jack Points

7 posts in this topic

Never got it wrong, although I usually try not jacking up the jeep by the unibody if I can avoid it. I generally use the axle tubes to jack up the jeep. I have seen someone try and jack up a car from underneath and cracked the floor of the car.

Well, I was using a normal floor jack on my Ford Escape and put it under what looked like a "jack cup" on part of the uni-body near the front wheels. Long story short, it wasn't up to the task. No welds were damaged but the "cup" shaped piece is a bit deformed.

Well, I was using a normal floor jack on my Ford Escape and put it under what looked like a "jack cup" on part of the uni-body near the front wheels. Long story short, it wasn't up to the task. No welds were damaged but the "cup" shaped piece is a bit deformed.

Ha ha. I did the same thing last week.

Seriously? I'm just really mad because with all the different cars I've worked on over the years, I have trouble getting mine on a jack. Go figure.

I rotated the tires on my daughter's wagon this week, and needed to use the spare tire, because I couldn't find a safe place to put a jack stand. Would take off a front tire, replace it with the spare, move the front tire to the rear, then bring he rear tire to the front to replace the spare. Did that for both sides-- was a pain.

View PostWell, I was using a normal floor jack on my Ford Escape and put it under what looked like a "jack cup" on part of the uni-body near the front wheels. Long story short, it wasn't up to the task. No welds were damaged but the "cup" shaped piece is a bit deformed.

Take a look on the frame. There should be little diamond shaped cutouts. The jack should be placed below them or under them. Your manual should provide that information.