Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HugeDinghy

speed

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

so I grabbed a little 14'er that only had a 6 horse on it...I am selling it and looking at a nissan 18 horse..

if I can get 12 miles and hour with the 6 horse, what can I expect from the 28 horse....low 20's I am assuming?

what kind of boat is it? It is not very hard for a 6 hp to push a v-type boat to 12 mph, but either an 18 or 28(which one are you looking at?) would be hard-pressed to get that same boat too much beyond plane. HOWEVER, a little flat-bottom, sure. I had a 15 on my carolina skiff j16, and it went between 18 and 20 mph by myself in the beginning. Then the motor got tired, and the foam picked up more weight, couldn't plane. Got a 25 merc on it, thing did about 25 or so with me in it, foam picked up more water and couldn't plane anymore. In the end, me, console, gear, and about 600lbs for the hull, couldn't plane. If it is a small foam-filled skiff there is no telling what you can do, because you don't know if there is water in the hull.

On something like a flat-bottom aluminum jon boat, I would expect 20 mph for an 18hp, and maybe 25 for the 28 hp