Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maslow

Mandated Fishing License...

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

View Postwhere does the money go to really thats what i want to know

Most of these state departments, run very lean. understaffed etc. They are all costs centers. Where does the money go? I don't know how much exactly? but retirement, health insurance and pension are not cheap- And likely fall under the department budget. In other words a portion of the lic fee and other taxes collected likely is part of a compensation for an employee that no longer works for the department

View Post...like most of you, wink.gif I can't wait to pay for my license next year. I'm sure this will help the fishery......http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...WS11/100709939

That's the federal government. your license will come from the state. Personally I don't care how they used the funds...Kinda like a drug dealer being upset when the money from his seized property is used in a way he doesn't like. Most of these people broke the law, and either were found liable in a hearing or settled out of court.

they could have had a party for all I care...least it's not going into the poachers pocket. I say raise the fines and as an added bonus take the entire patrol crew out for beers and a steak with the money..as a thank you

View PostMost of these state departments, run very lean. understaffed etc. They are all costs centers. Where does the money go? I don't know how much exactly? but retirement, health insurance and pension are not cheap- And likely fall under the department budget. In other words a portion of the lic fee and other taxes collected likely is part of a compensation for an employee that no longer works for the department

Most state employee health benefits and retirement come out of another fund (paid into by state employees, and with matching/contributions by general fund monies) most department operating budgets don't in fact have to account for it. Look at the budget and you will see what I mean.

Putting in a salt water license is NOT cheap. you have to pay for dedicated computer servers that run with back-ups. A relational database has to be built that is both web accessible on the front end and yet provides high security (your address and drivers license number is in there!). But it also has to be flexible enough to get the data out and to do so the way it went in. There have to be software and hardware people to both install and maintain the system...as well as fix any bugs. Staff to work with the local B&Ts to do the whole 3rd party sales. Accountants to make sure where the money from those guys get to where it's supposed to be. Staff also has to answer questions by email or phone when people call into ask questions. And then there has to be others who work on educating the public about the new requirement. Then there's enforcement.

Once the data is all collected. Someones got to make sure it's right, and then get it into a format to ship it off to NMFS. Then they have to answer the thousand of legislator questions about the data, like "how many anglers are in my district?" "How important in dollars is the anglers in my district spending vs the other district down the road".. Then eventually someone will put in a bill that will flag dead beat dad's, people with outstanding warrants, or tax evaders..and so a whole new set of protocols will have to be designed. So yeah...this sort of thing isn't cheap.

But the state is doing it for a lot less then the feds said they were going to. what $10 as opposed to the $15-25 the feds were going to charge

View PostThat's the federal government. your license will come from the state. Personally I don't care how they used the funds...Kinda like a drug dealer being upset when the money from his seized property is used in a way he doesn't like. Most of these people broke the law, and either were found liable in a hearing or settled out of court.

they could have had a party for all I care...least it's not going into the poachers pocket. I say raise the fines and as an added bonus take the entire patrol crew out for beers and a steak with the money..as a thank you

Most state employee health benefits and retirement come out of another fund (paid into by state employees, and with matching/contributions by general fund monies) most department operating budgets don't in fact have to account for it. Look at the budget and you will see what I mean.

Putting in a salt water license is NOT cheap. you have to pay for dedicated computer servers that run with back-ups. A relational database has to be built that is both web accessible on the front end and yet provides high security (your address and drivers license number is in there!). But it also has to be flexible enough to get the data out and to do so the way it went in. There have to be software and hardware people to both install and maintain the system...as well as fix any bugs. Staff to work with the local B&Ts to do the whole 3rd party sales. Accountants to make sure where the money from those guys get to where it's supposed to be. Staff also has to answer questions by email or phone when people call into ask questions. And then there has to be others who work on educating the public about the new requirement. Then there's enforcement.

Once the data is all collected. Someones got to make sure it's right, and then get it into a format to ship it off to NMFS. Then they have to answer the thousand of legislator questions about the data, like "how many anglers are in my district?" "How important in dollars is the anglers in my district spending vs the other district down the road".. Then eventually someone will put in a bill that will flag dead beat dad's, people with outstanding warrants, or tax evaders..and so a whole new set of protocols will have to be designed. So yeah...this sort of thing isn't cheap.

But the state is doing it for a lot less then the feds said they were going to. what $10 as opposed to the $15-25 the feds were going to charge

It's still a worthless POS card that will affect the the guys that C&R and respect the rules more that all the White Buckets and poachers who are already breaking the laws. This card does nothing but line the pockets of politicians.

It's just another reason to cost the taxpayers money and never have any results to show for it.

View Post"Putting in a salt water license is NOT cheap."

You are a shill.

why? because I'm telling something you don't wish to hear? tongue.gif That's what it costs and that's where a bunch of the money is going to end up. It's literally half of what the feds were going to charge. And for those to own businesses and contract their database work out know just how much it costs to have this stuff done by a private firm.

View PostIt's still a worthless POS card that will affect the the guys that C&R and respect the rules more that all the White Buckets and poachers who are already breaking the laws. This card does nothing but line the pockets of politicians.

It's just another reason to cost the taxpayers money and never have any results to show for it.

Maybe.... I guess we will see once it's put into place. It will depend on how much $$$ get used for enforcement. Right now though it's pretty much a done deal. Like it or not.

That's the federal government. your license will come from the state. Personally I don't care how they used the funds...Kinda like a drug dealer being upset when the money from his seized property is used in a way he doesn't like. Most of these people broke the law, and either were found liable in a hearing or settled out of court.

It's that type of thinking that allows corruption throughout ALL areas of government, state included. If a fine is issued every penny should be accounted for.

My buddy works, excuse me, is employed by Mass Highway. If you only knew what his day consists of, you'd be sick. Roughly $45k wasted.... Lot of that going on, not much we can do about it. Posting on this board helps nothing. Can't fight the inevitable.....

View PostHopefully it will go to enforcement and fish management

The fact that they're making us pay for it means that we can and will have an active voice in how it is used.

I don't like paying for a license. I don't like the idea of it.

But I do like the idea of holding these folks feet to the fire when it comes down to the important things. I intend to make next year utterly miserable for them

I will make it a part of my daily ritual to follow up on calls that I've made. I will make it a point to find out the names of every person in the chain of command when it comes to calling in for someone taking shorts. I will take the time to wait for EPO's to show up and when the span of time is unacceptable, I will make it a point to lodge formal complaints with as many agencies as possible, bring it to the attention of as many local and major news agencies and start group emails asking for answers.

Yeah, no one wants to pay for something were getting for free right now.

But no one can argue that were seeing a change going on in the fishery, and folks that lived through the moratorium are stating that it looks ALOT like what happened before the crash.

This is an invaluable opportunity to organize and put the screws to corruption in the public sector as well as protect our fishery. You should embrace this as an opportunity and make it become that.

Anyone else with me on this?