Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

Rodmaker Magazine - new additions

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

This is off the RBO site, posted by TOm Kirkman, editor of Rodmaker & Admin of RBO. I'm psyched!!!

Two new staff writers have been added to RodMaker Magazine this past month.

C. Boyd Pfeiffer is well known to most any rod builder that has been around sportsfishing or tackle making for more than a few years. Boyd will be taking over some of the historical articles that run in RodMaker each time out. His long term association with the tackle making industry makes him perfect for this task. His insights on the history of our craft should be welcomed by everyone that enjoys this column.

Billy Vivona has become one of the most innovative and prolific thread artists of the modern rod building era. He's agreed to pen a column in each issue that serves as an extension of his thread art book, "Decorative Thread Art." Anyone interested in thread art will find this a valuable addition to the magazine. Expect to see full pattern steps with illustrations, some featuring variations of existing patterns and other totally new patterns.

Columns from both should start in either the RodMaker Volume 13 #4 or Volume 13 #5 issues.

The RodMaker circulation typically runs around 15,000 readers for each issue. But these folks don't remain constant - they come and they go. As such, sometime in the next 30 days (assuming the daily new subscription figures remain constant) RodMaker will receive it's 100,000th overall subscriber. It's a milestone that few thought would ever be reached in this craft. I plan to do something for whoever that person turns out to be - probably a free high end rod blank or something similar. More details later.

I could have thrown one together quickly, but that's not how I wanted to start off the series. I'm busy and need to be able to think and focus on what I want to write about, I couldn't do it this time.

I'm debating whether I should start it off with somethign really simple like a Spider or St john's Cross and add a couple of Variations to that, or if I should start off with a new pattern that is complex. I"m afraid a complex pattern will scare off thos looking to get into it, but a basic pattern most people will already know and won't appeal to them.

Looking forward to the new additions to the magazine. I remember one of the first books I read when beginning to wrap rods was Tackle Craft. Now I am constantly reviewing your book, it's terrific. How about bringing a NERBS class to Honolulu one day?

Billy,

For what its worth, something basic to you is not necessarily basic to others. If you are doing a piece of wraps, then start out with an article on basic layout and the principles behind proper layout.

K

Billy,

That's good to hear. Funny, I finally bit the bullet and subscribed a few days ago. Hearing you'll be a regular contributor makes my decision to subscribe feel a lot better. Good luck!