Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I've got a couple that I posted on this site earlier. here they are:

attachment.php?attachmentid=348554&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=348553&stc=1

attachment.php?attachmentid=353800&stc=1

GIP salamander!

attachment.php?attachmentid=353797&stc=1

Mcnally's ppowder puff. Left untrimmed to help avoid fouling on weeds.

Sorry if they are crude photos. I'm not the best photographer.redface.gif

My top 4 largemouth flies in no particular order would be a Boyers wiggle minnow (Umpqua), Edmonds stealth bomber (Rainey's) for top water, Riendeaus hairy fodder (Rainey's) and Cowens coyote (Umpqua) for sub surface......you can google all of them for recipes and/or instructions on how to tie.

HC

You can keep it really simple and go with wooly buggers, clouser minnows, crayfish flies, and topwater, maybe a longish worm-looking thing too. That'll cover most needs, no need to get fancy.

View PostYou can keep it really simple and go with wooly buggers, clouser minnows, crayfish flies, and topwater, maybe a longish worm-looking thing too. That'll cover most needs, no need to get fancy.

I agree, there's no need to get fancy. One pattern I would add to the list is a Tabory's snake fly - deadly on bass.

The Dalberg Diver fly! one of the best topwater flies ever created.... fish them early and late in the day . make them dive and they will float slowly back to the top.... deadly..

View PostThey do love frogs.

I went fishing this morning but after a short time I ran out of worms. Then I saw a cottonmouth with a frog in his mouth. Frogs are good bass bait.

Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth I grabbed him right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So, I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in its mouth. His eyes rolled back, he went limp. I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the frog.

A little later, I felt a nudge on my foot. There was that same snake with two frogs in his mouth.

If I had to pick one fly for large mouth bass it would be a big bead head bugger. Black would be my first pick although I have caught on brown and olive to. I have caught countless big bass on that fly. My second choice would be a popper. Keep it simple.

View PostI went fishing this morning but after a short time I ran out of worms. Then I saw a cottonmouth with a frog in his mouth. Frogs are good bass bait.

Knowing the snake couldn't bite me with the frog in his mouth I grabbed him right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So, I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in its mouth. His eyes rolled back, he went limp. I released him into the lake without incident and carried on fishing using the frog.

A little later, I felt a nudge on my foot. There was that same snake with two frogs in his mouth.

oh jeez, how much of that Jack did you drink to think picking up a cottonmouth at any point was a good idea?!

View Postoh jeez, how much of that Jack did you drink to think picking up a cottonmouth at any point was a good idea?!

That's CRAZY!!!! No way I'm sharing that bottle with NOBODY!

i use crease fly or this little fly.guess tied like gurgler. size 4 hook with rabbit strip length of hook,olive estaz,1/4 inch foam from michaels cut 5/8 wide and length of hook,tie back of body,wrap the estaz then tie the front. you can add mono line as weed guard.cought everything on this. my favtongue.gif you can see the little thing in the net heheh.try it out

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Bald Head

go_quote.gif

You can keep it really simple and go with wooly buggers, clouser minnows, crayfish flies, and topwater, maybe a longish worm-looking thing too. That'll cover most needs, no need to get fancy.

I agree, there's no need to get fancy. One pattern I would add to the list is a Tabory's snake fly - deadly on bass.

I was on a saltwater trip a few years ago, decided to hit a freshwater lake on a really windy day. Caught a smallmouth over 4# from shore on a white snake fly.