Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gobigblue

newburyport questions

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

hello from nj! ill be in the area in 2 weeks for a few days and am wondering what i can expect to catch, if anything. im staying with my wife's aunt&uncle right on the water. uncle has a small boat, not really sure how much in the way of fishing equipment he has though. this is not a "fishing trip" but im going to sneak as much stuff in my truck as possible. would the 9' lami for bombers and bucktails be overkill for the river? im thinking about bringing a stcroix conventional setup as well which i usually use for bucktailing fluke and blues/bass jigging if we get out on the boat. tips, ideas, comments are all appreciated. wife is looking forward to the "shopping" so i figure its only fair if i get to make some casts...

on 2nd thought, maybe i will pack the heavers. the 11'3" sealine doesnt get used much anyway, itd be a shame to go all summer without putting her to work.

the 9' lami is more than enough to do the job... the best fishing the past two weeks has been the last hour of the incoming( early morning) and the first two of the outgoing....that's about to change with allo f the drop in daylight.

forget fluke... too early here.. winter flounder fishing is outstanding in the deeper holes along the beach ( whats left of it)...imn the boat find the 30' curve outside the surfzone and chum them up... when the skates get too thick, relocate and repeat.

small bass can be had between the jettys near the bottom of the tide.. larger fish prowl along the beach front on the rise and flats fishing ( follow the crowd) should remain strong from half way up to the bottom..eels are your best bet at night, medium danny's and spooks are producing well at day break...