Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr T

Is this blank gonna blow?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I got a couple old sabre rods that a friend got me, I was going to rewrap. I noticed the finish on the unwrapped portion of the blank looks oxidized and it got me wondering if the blank is going to be safe to use or if this is a sign that the blank is now junk.

Is this blank a goner? Hoping not, really enjoying the old blanks I've been playing with.

View PostThat is just where original thread was removed.Once epoxied,that will look good as new

Actually the darker area is where the wraps came off. The area with the light weave showing was exposed.

That is where I am worried about the blank.

View PostActually the darker area is where the wraps came off. The area with the light weave showing was exposed.

That is where I am worried about the blank.

Nothing wrong with the blank, It's just the finish has taken a beating. If you don't care just wrap and fish if you do then refinish the blank. The best thing to do is lightly sand out the whole blank with 400 wet and 600 wet then find a body shop who will shoot the blank with clear. It'll be like brand new.

Cool, thanks for all the replies.

I'm going old school for this trip, doing old glass calstar/sabre rods, and newell blackies and jigmasters.

dunno why but I like the old stuff a lot. maybe cuz I'm old?