DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; July 1 - July 15

Rate this topic

View Postawesome catch katman, last time i saw you, you where snagging bait...biggrin.gif would love to hook on to one of those, but I realize that they are way out there.

I have been casting 135# wire pretty well on either cannonball or fish finder rigs. I have been getting maybe 75 yards or so with a big head on, but you really don't have to go that far. They are in close. That said, your odds are probably better with a kayak past the last bar.

Yep, iv caught my share of sharks, but 3-4ft sandbars/dusky/blacktips and one larger (over 6') sandtiger... i think these bigger boys like the recent shots are out there further, and are more rare to come in that close, but they do/can, its just 'easier' to catch them w/ a yack.

Fished from Friday evening thru Monday. Smattering of kingfish and small flounder and biters.

SW winds cooled and silted the water progressively through the weekend but it started out awesome. It looked like a Corona beer commercial on Saturday. By Monday the water had silted considerably and cooled from 74 to 68.

When the water was clean and warm I saw cobia come cruising by 2 times. Both times only about 40 yards out. The second time I had a bucktail/twister ready and put it on his nose but no take.frown.gif Shame I didn't have a rod ready for the first one. The second one just cruised through but the first one darted around chasing bait right in front of me for almost a minute. But the heavy plug/jig rod had a kingfish rig on it.

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

Cobia on the beach the first week in July?!?!?!? Wonder what our late summer will present us being as a late summer fishing pattern started the second week in June this year.

I'm getting geared up for snook and bonefish for next week on the flats at Henlopen wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Maybe Roosterfish in August or GT's???

Reports of tarpon in the VBI's have been circulating for 2 weeks now. That seems early to me.

'Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.' Mark Twain

OK where's my 12wt, Patagonia UV shirt, and Lefty hat? The 'poon are coming to Lewes.... the 'poon are coming to Lewes!!!!!!!!!

Now, thats worth wading with predatory sharks!!!!!!!! Anybody want to take point and wade 200 yards down current with fresh cut fish hanging from their belts to kinda clear a way for us fly guys????????? confused.gifcwm27.gif

We promise never to "castigate" you ever!!!!!

Jim, I heard those Bulls like those Patagonia shirts for dessert.

I am sure that all you sharkers know that the damage done to the shark is to the internal organs from their body weight. Pulling them on the sand and then sitting on them is not good for the shark. I am sure you all know that and take precautions to keep these great fish well and alive for more then just a release. A Hook Out is the best way to get the hook out and you do not need to beach them high and dry for the use of it. A long handle helps. I am sure there are times that they even do not work and you have to cut the line. Many of these fish are protected and need to be handled with care.

Just my 2 cents

Rick

View PostI have been casting 135# wire pretty well on either cannonball or fish finder rigs. I have been getting maybe 75 yards or so with a big head on, but you really don't have to go that far. They are in close. That said, your odds are probably better with a kayak past the last bar.

I tried out my Penn 114H loaded with 80 lb. mono this weekend. It cast a lot farther and easier than I thought it would. smile.gif

The Bucks stop here...

View PostFished AI Saturday and some on Sunday. One blue and some short flounder for me. Only one taker on the big baits and lost it after 30 seconds or less. Lost about 6ft of my 60lb shock leader and the line near the break was all abraded so I am guessing its tail wore through/cut the line. I had 4 rods out at the time and of course it took the rod that only had 60lb shock and a short 130lb hook leader. The other three rods had 60lb shock to 6ft of 250lb mono rub leader to 131lb single strand wire hook leader. I started using only the heavy leader and wire setups after that and had no more takers. Having very little sharking experience, does anyone think they shy away from the wire leader at times? I see a lot of people use wire and they catch plenty of sharks. Just a thought that ran through my mind as I was getting desperate for reasons I had no more takers. Bait was fresh and changed mostly every 20-25 min except a few times when I was feeling a little lazy. Any thoughts on the wire?

I use a 225 lb. mono leader that's probably about 20' long along with a pulley rig with a 7/0 In-Line Octopus Circle hook on a length of 225 lb. mono connected to a large swivel. A sinker is connected to a length of 80 lb. mono which is tied to the large swivel. That rig has worked for me the past two summers on Sharks that were up to around 100 lb. or so. None of the Sharks abraided the leader with thier bodies or tails and the circle hook got them in the corner of thier mouths.

The Bucks stop here...

View PostI am sure that all you sharkers know that the damage done to the shark is to the internal organs from their body weight. Pulling them on the sand and then sitting on them is not good for the shark. I am sure you all know that and take precautions to keep these great fish well and alive for more then just a release. A Hook Out is the best way to get the hook out and you do not need to beach them high and dry for the use of it. A long handle helps. I am sure there are times that they even do not work and you have to cut the line. Many of these fish are protected and need to be handled with care.

Just my 2 cents

Rick

Very well said.

"It looked like a Corona beer commercial on Saturday.

When the water was clean and warm I saw cobia come cruising by 2 times. Both times only about 40 yards out. The second time I had a bucktail/twister ready and put it on his nose but no take.frown.gif Shame I didn't have a rod ready for the first one. The second one just cruised through but the first one darted around chasing bait right in front of me for almost a minute. But the heavy plug/jig rod had a kingfish rig on it."

We were there saturday and the kids were using their mask to dive down and get shells on the bottom. It was that clear. I would have flipped if I saw the man in brown suit....never caught one before.

Fished out front the past few days with FBBW and caught kings on hi/lo rigs. Managed a few small sharks as well on cut bait.

This thread would be so much better if it contained more about fishing reports and less about judgement/opinions on how fish/sharks are caught.

Fished IRI in the afternoon heat today. Lots of small blues. If any of you were there today, thanks for the help.

IRIFishing

Forgot to tell the best part....On my last 10th last cast, my bucktail got hit hard and steady took drag for about 20yrds. At first I thought I was tangled with someone on a boat. Then the head shakes started and I got line back. It ran again. I tighten down the drag. Most the new 200yrds of braid I but on two weeks ago were in the water. I was a afraid the 15lb mono backing would not hold up to the fight. I go back most of the line. It ran again. 12-30yrds. I tightened the drag a little and the hook pulled. I managed to unbend the the hook enough to allow it to pull. I sure wish I would have seen what ever it was. My guess a skate or ray. It sure was an exciting 5minutes!

IRIFishing