Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bill Klein

DelMarVa Fishin' Reports; July 1 - July 15

Rate this topic

119 posts in this topic

Despite a most welcome break from the heat wave that's been plaguing our zone, from a fishin' standpoint we're well on our way into the usual summer doldrums. Other than some fairly lively activity for the sharkers, it's a pretty slow pick in general from the local waters. Hope everyone enjoys a safe and fun Fourth of July weekend.

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? wink.gif

Go fish

I'd like to start sharing my reports, though most of what I do is kayak fishing. I live and fish in Va, so my fishing is in the lower Bay and Va seaside.

Anyway, me and a buddy went out for some spec fishing. We've been several times so far, and all we've caught were stripers, 16"-24". He finally caught the first one of the year, and what a beauty it was, his biggest ever. 24 1/4", 4lb 13oz. Slammed a Bomber chartruse/black walk the dog plug in 2' of water. He fished a total of 7 hours, I met him after I got off work and fished for 3, and that was the only fish of the day...But a NICE onebiggrin.gif

P6300014.jpg

Fished AI out front last Tuesday and Wednesday early AM and out back on Thursday AM. Tuesday morning hit the beach at dawn and low tide. Kingfish were everywhere in the surf and I was hitting them on the head with each cast for the first hour. Pulled in one or two with almost every cast, missed as many as I caught and kept several larger ones for dinner. Bite then slowed down with only one good keeper for the rest of the morning plus a couple skates thrown in for good measure. All were taken on FBBW and squid strips. Had a couple bunker and spot chunked for sharks but no takers. Wednesday AM had a good stiff onshore breeze out of the NE. Caught several short flounder, 1 keeper King and a smooth doggie. Thursday fished out back and got skunked - a really strong wind started in at 8 AM plus tons of grass certainly killed any hope of a bite so packed it in. Overall a great few days with beautiful weather and quite a few nice fish. biggrin.gif

I'm just hoping the bite is on when I go down at the end of the month on vacation (read fishing). Hoping to get a friend's kayak to put that bait out. Tight Lines!

Well that just made me think twice about nighttime waiting way out in the flats for awhile.

Guess I will have to go for plan B at night at the shore ..... Drinking and bar hopping! wink.gif

I would also like to know if that was AI? There have been alot of sharks in the area. It's even been covered by the local media stating the O.C. lifeguards have spotten more than usual (could be the clear water as of late) but said nothing to be concerned about. A bull shark, I would think, would require different consideration.

The Coast Guard issued a "predatory shark alert" for ME-NJ a couple days ago..... maybe it was a bit narrow in scope ..... at least by a few states. smile.gif

Sharks like the one above are capable of "having something on a Yak" snack! Paddle on boy's! smile.gif

View PostThe Coast Guard issued a "predatory shark alert" for ME-NJ a couple days ago..... maybe it was a bit narrow in scope ..... at least by a few states. smile.gif

Sharks like the one above are capable of "having something on a Yak" snack! Paddle on boy's! smile.gif

hahahahaha i agree

fish was caught in delmarva

View PostThe Coast Guard issued a "predatory shark alert" for ME-NJ a couple days ago..... maybe it was a bit narrow in scope ..... at least by a few states. smile.gif

Yep and they like to hang around a certain area and pier just off the ocean in the bay in the nice warm shallow water wink.gif