Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjfromphilly

HELP! LBI fishing from Shore/in bay

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

im a freshwater guy through and through, but i just bought one of them huge surf rods (which i hear many arent using anymore but thats another topic)

I will be in long beach island, at barnaget bay to be exact. i was there yesterday, and fished off the yaht club dock, and the ocean with no luck.

Heres what i was using:

Ocean- huge 3oz bucktail jig with either a strip of squid, or a minnow. Also through a surf rig with a floater with no success.

Dock- 3/8 bucktail with squid or minnow. Through some freshwater hardbodys.

HELP ME OUT! What can i do to get some action??? Id take a sandshark, a skate even, i dont care. I just wanna catch something.

What, where when???

Please, I need all the help i can get! I will be forever grateful! if anybody needs bass fishing advice i can help out.

I was in Ocean city nj a few weeks ago and was catching fluke on minnows, but that was from a boat.

I really am terrible at salt water fishing. Can barely cast my 10 foot surf rod without fear of the 3 pound weight flying off and killing some poor kid playing in the sand...

Fluke are in the surf, especially with this NW wind. I was walking the beach yesterday with what some might consider a heavy freshwater outfit. I was throwing 3/8 ounce jighead and a teaser hook 18 inches above that. 3" gulp swimming minnows (twister tail) on the jig and teaser hook. I caught 5 fluke to 16" in an hour of walking down the beach and back. Fancast an area, move, fancast, move.

Light jigs are key because you want the rig to drift across the bottom. Heavy jigs drag in the sand and get no hits. If you can't toss light jigs with that big rod then get a 2 ounce sinker, or your big jig, and put it on a loop on the bottom of your rig. Put a hook on a 12" leader 18-24" above that. Gulp, strip bait or even live killie on the hook. Toss it out, drag it back slowly. If you take killies on the beach do not take them in water. Put them in an open ziplock bag with a damp rag. Not wet, just damp. They'll be fine.

View PostFluke are in the surf, especially with this NW wind. I was walking the beach yesterday with what some might consider a heavy freshwater outfit. I was throwing 3/8 ounce jighead and a teaser hook 18 inches above that. 3" gulp swimming minnows (twister tail) on the jig and teaser hook. I caught 5 fluke to 16" in an hour of walking down the beach and back. Fancast an area, move, fancast, move.

Light jigs are key because you want the rig to drift across the bottom. Heavy jigs drag in the sand and get no hits. If you can't toss light jigs with that big rod then get a 2 ounce sinker, or your big jig, and put it on a loop on the bottom of your rig. Put a hook on a 12" leader 18-24" above that. Gulp, strip bait or even live killie on the hook. Toss it out, drag it back slowly. If you take killies on the beach do not take them in water. Put them in an open ziplock bag with a damp rag. Not wet, just damp. They'll be fine.

I had some killies they didnt last long. gotta try that wet rag trick.

How deep in the surf do i need to go? the deepest i was getting was into the big waves... are they that shallow?

So based on what you said i think i just went way too heavy! Thanks! anything else is appreciated! i would be happy catching 16" fluke all day, maybe get lucky and grab an 18 incher!

any advice for in the dock areas? any fish in that section or is it just a waste of time?

View Post

any advice for in the dock areas? any fish in that section or is it just a waste of time?

Always worth a look JJ,, especially during the early morning hours before the boat and ski traffic gets crazy and also if those docks are lighted at night wink.gif

View PostI had some killies they didnt last long. gotta try that wet rag trick.

How deep in the surf do i need to go? the deepest i was getting was into the big waves... are they that shallow?

Go deep? The fluke are often right in the wash and I really don't try to toss farther than the jetty tips. No need! Make sure you cast both ways parallel to the beach and drag your rig through the wash.

If you need to keep killies a long time, get some blue ice, wrap that in a damp terrycloth rag, put that into a tiny lunch cooler and pour your killies on top of that. Again -- no water. Just check the rag for dampness now and then. They'll keep a looooooooong time like that.

View PostFluke are in the surf, especially with this NW wind. I was walking the beach yesterday with what some might consider a heavy freshwater outfit. I was throwing 3/8 ounce jighead and a teaser hook 18 inches above that. 3" gulp swimming minnows (twister tail) on the jig and teaser hook. I caught 5 fluke to 16" in an hour of walking down the beach and back. Fancast an area, move, fancast, move.

can YOU tie all those knots?? tongue.giftongue.gif

btw if you were the director of the institute of cellular karma we could just call you D.I.C.K for short beers.gif

Slayer... thanks man i may just stop in. So when u say ocean you mean in the surf?

So i dont even need to cast deep? parralell casting? wow didnt even give it a shot!

Any places in LBI that are better than others for the surf? I didnt see any jettis in the places i fished last time. Any streets or #s that would help?

I fished from the beach next to the surfers.... and i guess i just went way too heavy (3 oz)

Should i use the killies on a bucktail? I will look up this teaser thing you speak of...

you don't need to worry about making 100 yard casts, most of teh feeding fish will be from the wash to about 30 yards out.

if you would like to raise your likelihood of catching focus your efforts on low light conditions, pre dawn through dawn and dusk through dark.

if you want to catch sharks fish your big rod with a hunk of bait anchored to 6 or 8oz of lead. bunker, herring, clam crab etc.

a killie on a bucktail is ok but i prefer a small strip bait like squid or fish belly, sea robin, blue fish, shad etc or even better would be a jig with a 3 or 4" spearing. since you dont even know what kind of water you are looking for giving you a street name would be pointless... worry about covering some area, like was said before, fan cast and then move 75' down the beach and repeat, if you notice you are getting fish in a specific type of are try to see what it is about that area and look for more of them along the beach. could be the side of a jetty or core or maybe a deep spot around a lot of shallow water or vice versa. for teh couple hours around low tide you may want to try and wade out to the bar and fish the front of the bar the same way you would have fished the beach.

View PostSlayer... thanks man i may just stop in. So when u say ocean you mean in the surf? GO TALK TO DANTE!!!!TRUST ME HE'LL HOOK YOU UP!!!!IT'S A B&T,Oceanside.

So i dont even need to cast deep? parralell casting? wow didnt even give it a shot!

Any places in LBI that are better than others for the surf? I didnt see any jettis in the places i fished last time. Any streets or #s that would help?

I fished from the beach next to the surfers.... and i guess i just went way too heavy (3 oz)

Should i use the killies on a bucktail? I will look up this teaser thing you speak of...

FCbiggrin.gif

Just reading through this, amazing you guys took the time to respond to me, as i sounded like a complete moran. 2 years later im going through the internet and came accross this. kind of funny looking back now that my salt water knowledge has increased.

Thanks again for all the reponses on this brain dead post!

How u guys been doing in LBI this year?

ocean is stacked with fluke stop by oceanside and ill let you in on everything you need to know for all types of fishing, ask for Dante

Listen to this guy^^^^^^

Just got back from LBI and found out that the jetty that i normally fished is completely out of the water at high tide because of the beach replenishement that was going on 5 blocks down............. go figure :mad: