Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
demoiod

(nj) avet advise needed

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I was planning on buying one other camouflage avets from ----- this week. Either the sx or the mxl. I think that's the only 2 they have camouflage other then the big raptor. I will be using it for catching bass and blues on my boat and on party boats. I don't think they make a mc in camo. That would be nice. I hear they aren't too hard to mag yourself. Any advise ? --- Thanks

View PostThere's better casting reels. Why buy a reel for 200 bucks that you have to work on?

Because they are great reels at affordabe prices. Most star drags cost what Avet lever drags go for. Plus isn't nice to be able to buy a great product that is still US made.smile.gif

It looks like an awesome reel at a great price. I do a lot of striped bass and blues fishing. Which model do you think will hold up Better. An sx or a mxl?

I have a few Avets.. including the SX, MXL, MXJ.. If as you say you are going to be using it from a boat , I see no reason to mag it.. With max drag pretty close on both, I would base my decision between the SX or MX on which one matched the rod best, and line capacity requirements.. If you are going to use mono, then the MXL would be my choice.. Either way, I agree they are great reels for the money..

I use an MXJ on my 13' heaver with 20 lb. mono and an SX on a 7' Loomis with braid. If you're after bass and blues from a boat then an SX with 17 lb. mono or 30-40 lb. braid would serve you well. But in the end it really won't matter because you'll just end up wanting a second one anyway! wink.gif

I agree. I use mine on PB's and find no need to mag it. I do not have an educated thumb for conventional reels, but was still able to get some decent casts out of my unmagged SX 6/4. I can't see a need for anything bigger unless you're planning on doing deep drops. I fished mine up to 200' with 50lb braid and had tons of line still on the spool. You will be hard pressed to find anything negative to say about an Avet.

Thanks. I'm going to be using mono. 20-40#. Most party boats don't allow braid. I was on the Jamaica in brielle NJ last night and won the pool. I fish a baitrunner 3500 and its doable but light. I would like to horse em in and avoid all the jerks who don't know how to fish. There were 3 guys on there with braid and boy was it a nightmare. I kept cutting off their leaders when they got tangled. Any was I think the mxl is going to be my choice. I need the room on the spool for the mono.

I pulled he trigger today on the camouflage mxl. I packed it with 340 yards of 30# mono. Boy it looks sweet. I haven't found a rod I'm happy with putting it on yet. I found a lot that fit the function but every rod I put it on just looks funny. I like my gear to match. I may have to go custom rod shopping to be happy. Unless anyone on here has a rod they think a camouflage reel would look good on..

View PostI use an MXJ on my 13' heaver with 20 lb. mono and an SX on a 7' Loomis with braid. If you're after bass and blues from a boat then an SX with 17 lb. mono or 30-40 lb. braid would serve you well. But in the end it really won't matter because you'll just end up wanting a second one anyway! wink.gif

HA Ha so true so true highfive.gif

View PostI use an MXJ on my 13' heaver with 20 lb. mono and an SX on a 7' Loomis with braid. If you're after bass and blues from a boat then an SX with 17 lb. mono or 30-40 lb. braid would serve you well. But in the end it really won't matter because you'll just end up wanting a second one anyway! wink.gif

I got a second one two times...yup I now own four of them. 2 SX's and 2 MXL's.

I would not trade them for anything.biggrin.gif

Hi hopes for the spinner that's comming soon also!!!