Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thaistick

fishing in barbados

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I live in barbados so it's nice to see someone is coming down here to give our waters a go. In terms of advice, i can safely say that whatever gear u already have will work just fine down here. No need for anything special in terms of tackle, in fact we use hand lines from the surf and the rocks down here quite a bit.

We get alot of jack crevalleys, horse-eye jacks, barracuda, sharks, permit some tarpon and snapper from the shore here.

Metal lures work quite well, like kastmaster and other metal jigs.

I'm just back from Barbados and frankly I had the best time ever!

Had a blast and fished on the cheap... locals are great and the friendliest folk you are likely to find... very helpful. If you go to the flytying section of the forum I've posted a report "Back from Barbados" which may help... 9wt rod with a Rio WF9F Bonefish line... great fun... the report even tells you the flies I caught on!!

Enjoy!!

Regards

David

been down bim way 7 times and look to go back again asap - great folks, super food, good surfing (board) and good off the shore fishing. i use albright travel rods, fish off the beaches and rocks, lotsa fun and always something to catch with silver spoons and jigs!!! bring extra line, lures and hooks!!!

Where in barbados is that east coast , west coast , north coast , south coast

i have no idea what yer asking.

lessee, the east coast is on the east, the west coast is on the west, etc.

bim is a small island and the fishing is good literally everywhere along the coastline or out on the water. the east coast is the atlantic and the west coast is the caribbean. the shoreline can be fine pink/white sand to nasty rocks. the off-the-shore fishing is good 'n' fun, as is the surfing. go there. enjoy.

just joined, this is my first post! i have surfed an a bunch in barbados and only have limited experience flyfishing, but i can say with some certainty that the tradewinds on the west side of the island can be daunting. the winds are nearly constant and wreak havoc on the visibility and one"s ability to cast. the east side of the island has many more sheltered points. one spot which i see many locals fish is about 200' south of freight"s bay (cotton house bay). this beach is an uncrowded gem with the exception of the local surf schools, which will be well out of your way. the spot i'm talking about is a cliff about ten feet about 10' above a section of coral reef here the swell wraps around into the bay. you should expect tons of barracuda and some spanish mackerel. locals also catch and keep some type of gar. don't forget to hit up the "fish fry". good luck