Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dans1055

clouser minnow leader question

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey whats up guys? Im pretty new to fly fishing, and I know with the clouser minnows, because they are bulkier to make bigger loops when casting these. My question here is will leader length make a big distance in casting these? How long should it be about?

I guess it depends what size clouser on what size rod.

I fish them 90% of the time on my 8wt. Intermediate line in the salt. For that my leader is generally 9' long. 3.5 feet of 40 or 30lb mono, 3 feet of 20lb mono, and then 2.5' of 15lb floro.

Also depends on water and time of day. Clear water daytime (inlets, ponds) I go with 30" whatever, about four feet, and 20# flouro, to about nine feet total. I might shorten it up if it's windy or tough to cast. Nightime you can get away with less, makes it easier to deal with when you can't see what's going on. I've started usuing the non-slip mono loop exclusively to attach fly to leader and I've grown very confident in both the presentation and durability of the knot- I've had some banner days this year and I think the loop knot has a lot to do with it. It give a more natural presentation when using heavier leader/tippet material. Also- dead drift those clousers!

I usually just use 6' of 20lb. flourocarbon when fishing Clousers. In some cases I'll add 2" of 15lb. Keep it simple. I don't think leaders turn over Clousers. Clousers turn over leaders.

Thanks alot for the info guys. im pretty new to fly fishing and have tried them a couple times and had a hard time with them. Ill be sure to try some of the suggestions thanks again

View PostI usually just use 6' of 20lb. flourocarbon when fishing Clousers. In some cases I'll add 2" of 15lb. Keep it simple. I don't think leaders turn over Clousers. Clousers turn over leaders.

Hard hat fishing.