Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sea Flat

Fishing with Scott Cullen

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Went on a fishing excursion with Scott Cullen today. Met through SOL. Had a great day on the water.

We left out of Bass River and headed towards Monomoy in search of bass where a friend of mine had caught a lot of fish only a few days before. After stopping by the rips which were extra rough and no real signs of bass we turned the corner and started heading north. We found some birds following a school of bass that were porpoising and sipping very small bait. We had multiple shots at them with different baits, but they did not even look twice at our offerings. As we left this school we noticed another fellow SOLer out on the water heading further North, Riptide. We decided to see where he was going redface.gif and he led us to some more birds, but this time there were tuna present. Scott and I were not really expecting fishing for tuna, but the opportunity presented itself and with Scott's Fin-Nor reel and custom stick we started casting into the craziness. Schools of tuna were up and down all morning and after a breakoff due to a wind knot (among the longest feed of the daymad.gif) we hooked up to a nice BFT on a Double Wide hogy with a jig head. The jig head was key to get it to drop out of range of the birds on top that kept attacking our unweighted baits earlier. I was on the rod for the hook up and the beginning of the fight and after 10-15 minutes I handed the rod off to Scott. After a little while he handed it back to me and then I handed it back to him. This fish was big and heavy!! After close to 25 minutes or so the line broke at the knot. My quick Albright Knot didn't cut it. It actually looked like the braid cut right through the Flurocarbon leader, that is what I will keep telling myself anyway.redface.gif

We had a bunch more shots, but with no takers. All in all an awesome day on the water. Can't remember the last time I had so much fun while not actually landing a fish. We saw a seal, weird behaving bass, pilot whales, breaching humpbacks, finback whales and many a tuna.

finished the morning off with lunch at Skippy's and back in Falmouth by 4pm for me.

Thanks to Scott for an awesome time and your dog and boat are both awesome on the water.

Sounds like a great day had by all huh?...Good to hear its still busy out there...I am actually hoping to go this weekend out of Chatham. Been out twice already looking for Bluefin and once for stripers. No luck yet. mad.gif

View PostYou got a fast boat if you can keep up with Terry! icon14.gif

cwm27.gifcwm27.gifcwm27.gif

We did not keep up with him at all. We just stayed behind him and followed a bit until he was just a dot up ahead. In fact, our first shots at tuna were when we spotted some birds off to the east when Terry was well ahead of us.

Good to see you gettin back out there. I really wanna get back out but my boats outta the water right now as Im busy with travel for work and other stuff for a few weeks mad.gif

Something I learned on my trip is that you need to tie a bimini twist and use wind ons. Its actually not that difficult! I followed this video and its actually not bad at all! I use wind-on's now even for bass fishing, and even pulled an 18lb bass up that seawall at the mouth of the canal harbor with 65lb braid/50lb mono! I even do it with 20lb braid/20lb mono with good results on bass, blues and albies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezh4McgNTA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tezh4McgNTA

Tom-both Fenway (80 lbs boxer mix) and I had a great time fishing the other day with you also. I wish we had a camera for the whale show but next time I won't leave it at home.

The next time we go, I think we will skip looking for bass and search for Tuna. I just picked up an item that will make the tug of war a little easier.

Your welcome to join me on another trip, just let me know when your around.

Cheers and enjoy the 4th!

Scott

Yeah Scott, would love to go out again. Going camping with the family from Saturday to Tuesday and then my summer teaching schedule begins, but I have every other day off. If I see a day or two in advance that I can make a trip I will let you know. That new thing you got will definitely make a huge difference. My arms were burning with that fish. It had to be over or around 200 lbs. I would guess. We probably would have had to throw the fish back anyway so at least the fish most likely lived without the questionable release we would have had to make.

Good news is that they finally started to work on my boat this afternoon, hopefully that means it will be done tomorrow.