Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pinkhotness

To sludge or not to sludge.....

8 posts in this topic

Thanks for the advice everyone gave me on my previos post. In it i mentioned that the pond i fish gets covered in green algae. Its always on one side of the pond or the other depending on the wind. I tend to fish the side of the pond that doesnt have it. Some people say they fish through it and on top of it with luck. Any suggestions? I think next time i go there im gonna try a weedless frog.

Throw the weedless frog. If you do get an explosion and miss it, there will be a hole in the scum, toss a creature bait in there. The bass will think it just stunned whatever was up there and it fell right down to him. Or if theres any holes already in the scum you could try dropping baits in them also.

icon26.gif Try getting a 3/4oz-1oz jig through the stuff or a worm with a pegged weight. There are fish underneath. You just have to be persistent. Are you fishing from a boat or land?

There is a small pond behind my Mom's house and it gets choked with weeds and algea each summer. I fish from shore and drop weightless senko-type lures in the holes and the bass love it. Sometimes I'll throw a weedless frog on top (and sometimes the senko as well) and the explosions are lots of fun.

The bass seem very comfortable under the algea and weed mats. I've caught them within a rods length of shore. I guess that they feel good having a "roof" over their heads. Fish the weedy side.