Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
whateverbendstherod

Costa Rica Fishing Guide Recommendation?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I'm going to Costa Rica on my honeymoon for the first two weeks of September. I will be staying at the Paradisus Playa Conchal (Playa Conchal, Pacific Coast... Guanacaste region).

Can anyone recommend a guide in the area? Looking to stay inshore for Roosters mostly and maybe Dorado. Would prefer an american guide if possible.

Get in touch with Ralph from costaricawildfishing that's up in his neck of the woods. I know he does surf trips, and kayak. He might even do boat, not too sure

Not sure where your location is in relation to Quepos...but I guy I fished with out of Edgartown Mass a couple times always had a boat down there...Big Eye Charters...Capt Ross. He has been down there full time for a few years

View PostI'm going to Costa Rica on my honeymoon for the first two weeks of September. I will be staying at the Paradisus Playa Conchal (Playa Conchal, Pacific Coast... Guanacaste region).

Can anyone recommend a guide in the area? Looking to stay inshore for Roosters mostly and maybe Dorado. Would prefer an american guide if possible.

Cant help you much with guide as last year with real bad ecomony most Charters were shut down and hard pressed to find a Capt, we stayed in Playa Flamingo right up the highway from where you will be going , found area to be very clean, very friendly and very beautiful, great food at Hotel and local cafes food was great.

There is no way you will not enjoy the trip and at the time of year your going, do not expect hotel to be full our Hotel had 13 rooms occupied out of 150,we didnt, but it is safe to rent a car or You can hire a car and driver at hotel (Full day with Driver & Guide was $100.00) and was well worth the money

OH Congratulations

Thanks guys. I will try contacting the guides mentioned. I checked out costaricawildfishing... it looks cool, I hadnt considered guided kayak fishing but now I may.

If there are any other suggestions I will gladly take them.

eerie. i stayed at the paradisus 2 years ago for my honeymoon around the same time as you and went out with ralph, would highly recommend him. he took us on a local boat, which was kind of disappointing for the price and everything but i still got my rooster. much more cost effective to take a kayak out with him, you dont need to get out very far to find the fish and can do it for a couple days same price. ralph is really good, lots of people on here have used him.

definitely do the horseback riding thing through the resort. they bring the horses right in from brasilito. my wife loved it. it was us and the guide, and he pretty much stayed real far ahead of us or really far behind, it was like we were alone. he took us down the beach and into the jungle. the howler monkeys are really cool, the sound they make is like nothing you have ever heard, its frightening.

definitely upgrade to the royal service, you get your own pools and bars/restaurants(no annoying little kids running around screaming) and they will pick you up and drop you off anywhere. depending on where you want to go the walks can be really long. the only thing i didnt do was play golf, which i regret. the course is very highly rated designed by robert trent jones i believe.

Thanks for the info gobigblue. I'll be there for a week, as well as a few days in the Arenal Hot Springs, and a night in San Jose on either end of the trip.

Yeah, Its a Jones Course at the Paradisus... definitely going to fit that into the trip. Nice Rooster!

I'll be staying at Paradisus as well - 7 nights in mid-October. Gotta love the search function on SOL. I will look into the guides mentioned above. Thank you!

Any chance for fish from the surf on my own in the area?

Thanks.

I've been there several times over the years (including my honeymoon) but not recently. I always took fishing gear including fly rods. It's a beautiful country. As far as guides go, I have no idea what the situation is like now, so I won't pretend otherwise. But here are a few suggestions to consider.

The Guanacaste region has some beautiful and desolate beaches. A travel spin rig, some small tins or jigs and maybe terminal gear for rigging local bait would be easy to pack, useful and cost effective.

For example, Hermit and other small crabs are in abundance and easy to catch for bait. Just fishing tidal pools alone could up your lifetime species count a bunch. Add a cheap mask & snorkel and you'll see exactly what I mean. It worked for me. I love angling variety and always find it satisfying trying to crack the local code (if possible) on my own when fishing beyond my local waters. But for bigger fish, you will need a guide and boat for best results.

The Arenal Volcano is a worthwhile visit if you can. From Guanacaste it's just a few hours drive through gorgeous country. As volcanoes go, Arenal is incredible and you will almost certainly witness minor eruption(s). Just breathtaking. Stay in the town of Fortuna for easier access and maybe visit the spa called Tabacon if it's still there. Hot mineral springs flow right out of the mountain all through the resort grounds. There were multiple streams with pools and waterfalls when I was there, all flowing with warm mineral water. Your wife should LOVE it. I know mine did and was er, most appreciative.

There is fishing too. Lake Arenal is at the base of the volcano, and the Guapote angling is pretty cool w/ bass gear. Yellow poppers worked well for me. You can probably find a pick up a local guide to take you out for a 1/2 day (the early morning if possible). The scenery and wildlife is worth it.

These photos were taken pre-digital but are of Guanacaste and Arenal and can serve to illustrate.

My last recommendation (anywhere in CR) is WATCH all YOUR GEAR. Thievery, especially towards Americans is elevated to an art form with anything and everything being up for grabs. Not trying to buzz kill here, it's just plain true. Just be careful and not careless and you'll do fine. I had a wonderful honeymoon in Costa Rica and I wish you the same.