Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LiquidSmokeBXNYC

Caption this!

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Gov. Patterson: There's Waldo!!

cwm27.gif He looks like hes XOXO kissing the page...

or writing with a politicians "fine print" pen.

funny pic...

C'mon seriously. That's why it takes so long to get stuff done in NY.

View PostI have no love for him as governor, but I'm not gonna poke fun at his disability.

I have the same disability, but I came up with a whacky idea...GLASSES.

View PostI have the same disability, but I came up with a whacky idea...GLASSES.

^^^Sheer genius...like Wile E. Coyote caliber genius clapping.gificon14.gif

Tell me more about these "glasses" things? cwm13.gif

TimS

View Postheadscratch.gif i'm with DJ on this one.

I apologize if he has some disability beyond needing glasses...I was unaware redface.gif

maybe people don't know which is fine (while watching him on american idol one night, i honestly asked my wife why andrea boccelli was singing with his eyes closed the whole time).

At the age of three months, Paterson contracted an ear infection which spread to his optic nerve, leaving him with no sight in his left eye and severely limited vision in his right.[8][15] Since New York City public schools would not guarantee him an education without placing him in special education classes, his family bought a home in the Long Island suburb of South Hempstead so that he could attend mainstream classes there. Paterson was the first disabled student in the Hempstead public schools, and graduated from Hempstead High School in 1971.

View PostPlease don't tell em that "legally blind" really means "too dumb to get glasses"

I mean, it can't be.

Right?headscratch.gif

Didn't know he was legally blind....my apologies HappyWave.gif

TimS

There's a big difference between "legally blind" and "virtually sightless".

What he has is way beyond simple nearsightedness.

And almost everyone in NY State knows that Paterson is blind--not just "legally" so--but almost completely unsighted.

DJ i was not making fun of his disability just the picture.(at a glance)

Legally Blind: Definition

Anyone with vision worse than 20/200 that cannot be improved with corrective lenses is considered legally blind. In addition, people with a visual field of less than 20 degrees diameter (10 degrees radius) are also considered legally blind.

The American Optometric Association states that a person with 20/20 vision can clearly identify a row of 9mm letters from 20 feet. A legally blind person with vision of 20/200 has to be as close as 20 feet to identify objects that people with normal vision can spot from 200 feet. So a legally blind person needs a distance of two feet to spot the letters on a standard eye chart that is 20 feet away.

Legal blindness is very common in older people because eyesight tends to worsen with time and age. Approximately 135 out of every 1,000 people over the age of 65 are considered legally blind. About 1.3 million Americans fall into this category. Only about 10% of legally blind people read Braille, and a much smaller percentage use white canes or guide dogs. In the United States, the leading causes of blindness are accidents, diabetes, glaucoma, and macular degeneration. Worldwide, the leading cause is vitamin A deficiency, which is entirely preventable. Between 100 and 140 million children are vitamin A deficient, and up to a half million of them go blind every year.