Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
clyde123

pencils at night?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

anyone ever have any luck with pencils at night? just out of curiosity. i made a couple pencils with night time colors but ive been hearing that they dont work at nightconfused.gif

There are plenty of plugs or baits that are far more effective at night than a pencil. However I do know a few people who fish them at night and do alright. They fish it much slower than you regularly would. So try it out, mix up your retreives, experiment and let us know how you did.smile.gif Worse comes to worse,fish those pencils you made for night on an overcast day with plenty of cloud cover. I have a blurple pencil thats my go to on a very cloudy day.

Almost any plug will catch a fish in the dark but it must be worked painfully slow that is why swimmers are popular choice at night thy have a subtle action and still work at low speeds

for all you guys who answered clyde question about pencil poppin' at nite,- well for one thing, there are way more better lures and plugs to use at nite, sure you could catch some fish at nite on p.p. you can catch on almost anything thrown at them , ask the guys 'only' fish at nite and they will tell you they NEVER pencil pop, here in jersey during the spring and early summer run of big stripers on bunker pencil poppin' has become an art in the last seven years, strictly day time plugs, put the odds in your favor clyde.-butch n.

top water works anytime for the most part.if your gonna fish at night the pencils will work but the fish on average will be smaller that if were using needles or bucktailes.the big'ens usally hang close to the bottom.

View Postfor all you guys who answered clyde question about pencil poppin' at nite,- well for one thing, there are way more better lures and plugs to use at nite, sure you could catch some fish at nite on p.p. you can catch on almost anything thrown at them , ask the guys 'only' fish at nite and they will tell you they NEVER pencil pop, here in jersey during the spring and early summer run of big stripers on bunker pencil poppin' has become an art in the last seven years, strictly day time plugs, put the odds in your favor clyde.-butch n.

lol or just skip lures all together and throw some live bait smile.gif that'll put the odds in your favor eveennnn more!!!! pencils on/around a full moon are AMAZING, for stripers and my buddy, the blue

View PostWork it like you would a Needlefish, slow as many here stated. There are some Large Needlefish on the market that look like Pencil Poppers. Good Luck

sb

^^^^ What he said. Lots of sinking/loaded pencils will had a subtle side to side motion if you just twitch the rod tip every so often. Sometimes, a slow, sub-surface retrieve works during the day, too.

View PostCalif. guys use pencils and spooks at night.

Not really, I seen it a couple times but we mostly throw bombers and x rap, also hair raisers which you fine gentlemen in the east coast call them bucktails. (at night) day time is a different story

View PostWork it like you would a Needlefish, slow as many here stated. There are some Large Needlefish on the market that look like Pencil Poppers. Good Luck

sb

icon14.gif

And conversely, you can work a needlefish like a pencil popper if you get caught out there after the sun comes up smile.gif

TimS