Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TLDig

Computer Question

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

The old lady that my mom takes care of calls me in all the time to help her with her computer.

Here's the problem now and I have no idea how to fix it.

Where she lives, there is no wireless. You can't even get a cell phone signal there. Nothing. So she's stuck using dial up.

She bought a new HP top of the line computer which is hooked up for all wireless. She has a dial up service, but when you try to connect, those horrible sounds don't happen. According the book, she needs a modem or something. Something like RJ11 or RF11 or something.

I went to Radio Shack and Wal Mart to try to find a modem.. but all the modems are wireless modems.

What exactly do I need? And where do I get it? Help please!!!

View PostThe old lady that my mom takes care of calls me in all the time to help her with her computer.

Here's the problem now and I have no idea how to fix it.

Where she lives, there is no wireless. You can't even get a cell phone signal there. Nothing. So she's stuck using dial up.

She bought a new HP top of the line computer which is hooked up for all wireless. She has a dial up service, but when you try to connect, those horrible sounds don't happen. According the book, she needs a modem or something. Something like RJ11 or RF11 or something.

I went to Radio Shack and Wal Mart to try to find a modem.. but all the modems are wireless modems.

What exactly do I need? And where do I get it? Help please!!!

She should be able to get the modem from her service provider.

Some rent them some sell them.

her service provider is a room in bryson city with a guy who is there once in a while. i'm not really counting on that.

am i looking for an external modem or is it something i can download and install?headscratch.gif

View Posther service provider is a room in bryson city with a guy who is there once in a while. i'm not really counting on that.

am i looking for an external modem or is it something i can download and install?headscratch.gif

It's a physical box. Usually made of black plastic, with a few plugs in the back and some lights on the front. If you google the name of the product, you can most likely find it on sale online.

Open up the control panel. Click on "phone & modem options" or whatever it sez. See if there is one installed. If not, you'll hafta buy one. Google "dial up modem". Good luck...

View Postthose were wireless modems, werent' they? do they make old fashioned dial up modems anymore?

There were both types on the link.

Check the new link I just posted in the above thread.

View PostOpen up the control panel. Click on "phone & modem options" or whatever it sez. See if there is one installed. If not, you'll hafta buy one. Google "dial up modem". Good luck...

Thanks! I checked that out. Both were wireless modems. And I went ahead and deactivated them since they do not work there anyways.

View Postthose were wireless modems, werent' they? do they make old fashioned dial up modems anymore?

Awesome! Thanks for the new link. That should work just fine. Hopefully someone in the city tomorrow will have one, like Best Buy or Circuit City. Now that I know what I'm looking for.

I knew you guys would come through for me. kiss.gif You've made one very old lady happy.... and that makes my mom happy.... which makes me happy.

View PostThanks! I checked that out. Both were wireless modems. And I went ahead and deactivated them since they do not work there anyways.

Awesome! Thanks for the new link. That should work just fine. Hopefully someone in the city tomorrow will have one, like Best Buy or Circuit City. Now that I know what I'm looking for.

I knew you guys would come through for me. kiss.gif You've made one very old lady happy.... and that makes my mom happy.... which makes me happy.

Do I get a couple of positive points held in reserve in case I need them in the future.smile.gif

Dennis

View PostDo I get a couple of positive points held in reserve in case I need them in the future.smile.gif

Dennis

consider it done. might wanna tell ditch too though, in case he's got the brain that day.wink.gif

View Postconsider it done. might wanna tell ditch too though, in case he's got the brain that day.wink.gif

Ditch's pointz button is on the fritz--maybe for good wink.gif

Better send word to eebs and SIM. SIM will prolly be preoccupied with Tales and Lies the rest of the week anyway. ****--has SIM ever handed out pointz anyway? headscratch.gif

Dennis should be good to go for awhile icon14.gif

For Windows 7 you should have a built in modem

1. Click the Windows Button (Start Button)

2. Click Control Panel

3. Click Network & Internet Options.

4. Click Click the Internet Options Link.

5. Click the Connection Tab at the top.

6. Click the Set Up button.

7. Enter the appropriate dial up number for your respective area:

8. Enter your Username and Password into their respective boxes. You will need to re-enter the password in the second password box. Click Next to continue.

9. Make sure Remember this password is checked.

10. Type NetEase into the Connection name box.

11. Click Connect.

12. If your computer is not connected to a phone line, the Internet connection will report it was unsuccessful. Click Set up connection anyway.

13. If your computer connects, you can now browse the Internet.

14. Click Close to get out of the wizard.

15. Close any other open windows that are not needed.

You're Finished! You can click Start, then Internet Explorer to open your browser, then click Connect in the dialup connection box that appears to begin the connection process.

View PostFor Windows 7 you should have a built in modem

No, most computers do not have modems anymore. Laptops may have modems but desktops most likely will not have a modem. Modems have gone the way of the dinosaurs and dodo birds.