Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daverojo77

Fly Fishing Club, Which one?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

There are two fly fishing clubs in the area, One in New York, Salty Flyrodders of NEw York. and one right here in Jersey called Coastal fly rodders.

Anyone a member of any of these?

I'm looking to join one and leaning towards the Coastal because they are in Jersey but I live near and sometimes fish in NY So if Salty is a better club it would make sense. Or are they both pretty much the same?

Pick the one that's easiest to get to so you'll be able to make it to a few meetings. The biggest advantage of a club is getting to know some folks well enough to make a few new fishing buddies and learning a few new tricks from fishing with them.

The Salties are a great club, but their meetings may be hard for you to get to (I think they still meet in the Queens Botanical Garden) I was a member a zillion years ago and learned a ton thanks to a few members that took me under their wing. But I think that would be the case with most clubs ---provided they have members that actually fish smile.gif

And XBMX is right about ASWF-- if they are anywhere near you they'd definitely be worth checking out.

On the west coast I know of two also "Golden Gate Flycasters" where the great world champion tournament caster Steve Rayjeff got his training. The other is San Jose flycaster from San Jose California both are excellent clubs.

I'm a member of the Salty's. There are still some good guys in the club, plenty if you ask me. We meet the first monday of every month at the Queens Botanical Gardens but our July meeting will be on the second Wednesday, the 12th. Our guest speaker will be Mark Sedotti. Come out and see what the meetings are like and see Mark cast a whole chicken +100'. We are lining up some great guest speakers for the fall and also have a lot of great trips planned. If you want any more info check out our website or PM me.

Salty's highfive.gif

Jersey's has a good bunch of guys in their clubs as well. Remember you're part of the club. A club is only as good as the sum of it's members.

View Post

I'm a member of the Salty's & it's not like it use to be! Most of all the Good guy's are gone.

^^^^Funny you say that. I used to feel the same way about the Club years ago when Frank D was president. Everyone I was introduced to by another member of the Club all gave me the cold shoulder and acted like a bunch of snobs.mad.gif I quit the Club after that year. I re-joined a while back because I noticed the Club and it's members had changed for the better. Lot more friendly people willing to help and share with all of it's members. I saw you at 1 meeting in the last few months and that was it. Can you really say the good guy's are gone after attending just 1 meeting?headscratch.gif

View PostI'm a member of the Salty's. There are still some good guys in the club, plenty if you ask me.

Nick, very well said!biggrin.gif

Why do you have to join only one club, or go to only one club's meetings? You can join , or go to meetings, of all three. Go check them all out. See what you like. Go to whomever's meeting you like or want to go to, whenever you want to go. Salty's and Atlantic's this month. The other club the next. Why not? There's lots to learn, and lot's of it is fun, and sometimes entertaining as well.

You have that opportunity. Mix and match. If the closest one suites you, and it's easiest to get there, go for that one. it's nice to have options.

To Nick. Maybe I'll cast that thing 200 feet this time, and put it into a casting ring at 150. I'm always improving.

Mark Sedotti

I have been a Salty member for 4 or 5 years now, and I show up every once in a while. I love going to the meetings when I have time, because they get me so excited to fish.

I will be at Mark's demonstration. They are fantastic!

Even if you don't join, you should come down and check it out.