Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brian

VA Widow Benefits

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Doing some research on behalf of my mother. Anyone know anything about them? I'm pretty sure I can make an argument that my father's death was war/service-related since he was a suicide back in '85 and he first tried killing himself in the army right after he was sent home from Vietnam, but before he was discharged (he enlisted for a 3 year hitch so he wasn't immediately discharged after over-seas service).

Eligibility: For a survivorto be eligible for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), the veteran's death must have resulted from one of thefollowing causes:

1. A disease or injuryincurred or aggravated in the line of duty while on active duty or active duty for training.

2. An injury incurred or aggravated in the line of duty while on inactive dutytraining.

3. A service-connected disability or a condition directly relatedto aservice-connecteddisability.

DIC also may be paid to survivors of veterans who were totally disabled from service-connectedconditions at the time of death, even though their service-connected disabilities did not cause their deaths.

The survivor qualifies if the veteran was:

1. Continuously rated totallydisabled for a period of 10 years immediately preceding death.

2. Continuouslyrated totally disabled from the date of military discharge and for at least 5 years immediately preceding death.

3. Or a former POW who died after Sept.30, 1999, and who was continuously rated totally disabled for a period of at leastone year immediately preceding death.

Payments will be offset by anyamount received from judicial proceedings brought on by the veteran's death. The discharge must have been under conditionsother than dishonorable.

Payments for Deaths After Jan.1, 1993: Surviving spouses of veterans who died on or after Jan. 1, 1993, receive a basic rate, plus additionalpayments for dependent children, for the aid and attendance of another person if they are patients in a nursing home or requirethe regular assistance of another person, or if they are permanently housebound.