Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
caynenfisher

Poachers- You Know Who You Are

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Caught a guy and his wife walking up the street with two fish- one I could tell was an easy 28"... confronted them and the "husband" says.. " my wife said it was 26" long" (throw the old lady under the bus, loser) ... then I said if you know the shorter fish was 26" then you know you're breaking the law with the longer fish...

his response? - " you know how many fish we caught? we got over a dozen fish and if I was breaking the law I'd have kept every one of them"

I told him they were still illegal with a long fish, and then as they hurried away I told them "I'll be watching for you"...

Called the 1-800-ALERT US, and a Game Warden had SGT Daryn Granada get back to me... he said the poaching is a huge problem right now all along the southern Maine coast... and also they have an idea the crooks are selling the fish in Massachusetts for good money... He gave me his cell number and said call 24-7 if I see anything... and importantly , to get plate numbers of their getaway cars

guys, I am totally sick of this crap- my brother and I have tried talking to these people for the last 5 years or more, and they have no scruples, no ethics, and they are scum--- if they want to feed the family by fishing every day and following the rules that's great, but I get pissed when they just scoff at rules the rest of us follow out of respect for the resource.

BOTTOM LINE, IF YOU SEE IT, CALL IT IN, THE MARINE PATROL WANTS THIS TO STOP AS MUCH AS WE DO!!!!!!!!!!

also a tip.. if you see a violation and are going to call, dont tell the poacher you are going to report them. Quietly contact the authorities, make it look like your paying little attention to the violation. This will give the warden/CO a little better chance of getting them.

Dont mean to throw all bait slingers into one blender, but I have witnessed this situation numerous times from them and it is frustrating. A 25 inch striper is enough to feed a whole family why do they need to break the law. Thanks for posting the number to call...it is now on my cell phone.

Congrats...

View PostDont mean to throw all bait slingers into one blender, but I have witnessed this situation numerous times from them and it is frustrating.

Look like you just did with your first post. cwm13.gif

guys, poachers come in all shapes and sizes... fly, spin, bait, lures, I've seen it all- that's not the point, the point is respecting the law and the resource--

Surg- believe me, you've seen them out there, they are chunking and they are wearing backpacks and they run for the hills when they see me and "little" brother coming along the shore... we've tried the nice and polite route, but they have no regard for the law, other fisherman.. only themselves-

bottom line, it behooves the rest of us to be even more ethical, just to outweigh the morons

View Postalso a tip.. if you see a violation and are going to call, dont tell the poacher you are going to report them. Quietly contact the authorities, make it look like your paying little attention to the violation. This will give the warden/CO a little better chance of getting them.

Great tip!

I see this going on all the time out to the jetty in saco. I called marine patrol to let them know what was goig on. Short fish, large fish and the numbers of Sturgeon being caught. I asked them if they could make an appearence every now and then in hopes to make a person think before keeping that illegal fish or manhandle that sturgeon for pictures. I also suggested they post a sign at the begining of the jetty outlining the rules and laws. They seem concerned but that was a month ago and I have yet to see them around and still no sign. I know they aint got any money but jeeezus If someone cared enough to make the call at least check it out. I have been fishing that area pretty hard this year and I have yet to see any signs of enforcement. Heck all they have to do is sit in thier vehicle in the parking lot on any friday or saturday night and I am confident they would be able write a few tickets beatin.gif to add some $$$ to the cause.

true they are spread thin... but trust me, the Marine Patrol officers love catching and busting these bums who are poaching... and they have told me they really need that call, and it helps to get a plate number and make of the vehicle of the offender if you can do that safely-

let the cops do thier job as someone else pointed out, report the information in stealth mode for your own safety. here is another reason.

Years ago a certain person MR A was acting mean, very "a" hole like and eventually was breaking the law regarding stolen property that he bought. Most of us knew what was going on and disaproved both publically amongst our selves and occasionally to this person, effectively warning him to knock it off and grow up.

One of us-not me, MR B decided to take matters aliitle further & put his own badge on, alcohol may have fueled it and really confronted this guy, yelling at him etc, threatening he'd call the cops if he didn't change his ways, he was a low life and cared not for other peoples property. anyway someone dropped a dime on this guy, he went to court, paid a big fine, I don't think he went to jail, but lets just say he wasn't arround for awhile. about 6 months later this MR B has his house lit on fire conveniantly while he was away hunting. A week later MR A moves back into town. Lets just say there was no coincidence of the timing of both events.

Be carefull