Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Plug wear....

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

I forgot my Plug bag and left it down at the Cape house so i have no pics, but I can tell you some things I noticed on my plugs and finish. Wondering how I should move forward.

One thing is that from a solid week of casting my favorite Pencil, I had minimal wear on the Etex from the hook sliding back and forth on the plug. After about day 8 I could see SOME wearing, but nothing horrible.

1 Blue did cut right through the Etex, paint and primer like butter. Should I assume that is par for course with YEDs?

The tail end on my black plug got banged on the rocks more than a few times and I saw that the Etex and paint had chipped off a bit down to the gray primer.

I think I can solve a lot of my issues by increasing drying times across the board and becoming consistent on my process.

I don't see myself getting away from the Spar/MS sealer for now, but I think a full extra day or 2 for drying is needed with some better sanding.

For you better builders like Winch, Jigman, etc, what do you expect your plugs to look like after a hard week of fishing? Do your plugs hold up very well, or is there only so much you can expect?

Who cares???? If you want them pretty lock them up in a safe. Fish them

and beat the heck out of them. Then make more. smile.gif

Asking what they will look like after a week is pointless. No one but you knows

the fish, rocks, and other things the plugs you used encountered in a week of use.

I like the photos of plugs that have been actually used and beat up from use.

Your experience sounds typical. Wood plugs used for toothy critters will always equal splinters in the end. biggrin.gif

I was in a rush before my Canada trip last week and used 30 minute devcon rather than etex which is what I always used. I will not use Devcon 2Ton again for a finish if I can help it. Etex holds up much better. I caught lots of smaller 20"-28" pike on my spooks but the finish came off severl way too soon. The Devcon is very brittle, cracked and came off in large sections rather than just teeth cutting thru it. I've had 30 bluefish days on my spooks w/ etex and they held up better than the devcon. Etex must be a little more flexible. Caught some monster pike as well but not on my plugs.

View PostWho cares???? If you want them pretty lock them up in a safe. Fish them

the fish, rocks, and other things the plugs you used encountered in a week of use.

It's not pointless. I have no clue what I should expect out of my plugs for the long or short term. people before me, who have had a chance to fish one of their own plugs for a whole season could tell me how they fare.

If I can correct, or enhance a few things i do and make a plug that will hold a bit better, I would like to.

View PostYour experience sounds typical. Wood plugs used for toothy critters will always equal splinters in the end. biggrin.gif

I was in a rush before my Canada trip last week and used 30 minute devcon rather than etex which is what I always used. I will not use Devcon 2Ton again for a finish if I can help it. Etex holds up much better. I caught lots of smaller 20"-28" pike on my spooks but the finish came off severl way too soon. The Devcon is very brittle, cracked and came off in large sections rather than just teeth cutting thru it. I've had 30 bluefish days on my spooks w/ etex and they held up better than the devcon. Etex must be a little more flexible. Caught some monster pike as well but not on my plugs.

I noticed my Etex was flexible too. Where I lost a chuck from the Blue, the rest of the plug remained fine for the most part. I think if i wanted to pick at the plug, I could of peeled more back, but I knew better than to mess with it, lol.

It really depends on many things. The area you are fishing, amount of fish you are catching, types of fish (striper vs bluefish), how long you fish the plug, amount of time to dry out after fishing, etc. A real good bluefish blitz, around rocks, for several hours and your plug will look pretty beat up. What you want to check out is how the clear/paint/primer all stick together. Do you get the clear coming off in sheets or the primer flaking off indicating there is an adhesion issue, or are there just scratches in the finish? If the latter, you are fine. Hook swing, bluefish teeth, bouncing off rocks, fish pulling trebles against the plug body are all going to do some damage. As long as your plug is taking the beating and still fishing right, you are fine.

Jigman

Mokes your plugs are fine, they will get better the more you make but as I say the warranty on all plugs expires as soon as the plug hits the water.

They are made to be destroyed. I have destroyed lures in one day. They didn't fail they over achieved in the conditions and fish catching I put them in.

Blue fish teeth marks are highly prized in my eyes.

What you suggested to do is you learning from actually fishing and catching on your plugs. Some of the best Knowledge as a builder will come from your time on the water.

It is one of the things where many builders skimp in their quest to get "famous"

Keep up the good work.

View PostIt really depends on many things. The area you are fishing, amount of fish you are catching, types of fish (striper vs bluefish), how long you fish the plug, amount of time to dry out after fishing, etc. A real good bluefish blitz, around rocks, for several hours and your plug will look pretty beat up. What you want to check out is how the clear/paint/primer all stick together. Do you get the clear coming off in sheets or the primer flaking off indicating there is an adhesion issue, or are there just scratches in the finish? If the latter, you are fine. Hook swing, bluefish teeth, bouncing off rocks, fish pulling trebles against the plug body are all going to do some damage. As long as your plug is taking the beating and still fishing right, you are fine.

Jigman

View PostMokes your plugs are fine, they will get better the more you make but as I say the warranty on all plugs expires as soon as the plug hits the water.

They are made to be destroyed. I have destroyed lures in one day. They didn't fail they over achieved in the conditions and fish catching I put them in.

Blue fish teeth marks are highly prized in my eyes.

What you suggested to do is you learning from actually fishing and catching on your plugs. Some of the best Knowledge as a builder will come from your time on the water.

It is one of the things where many builders skimp in their quest to get "famous"

Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys. I feel better now. I really overthink things to a fault. I just can't get out to fish as much as I would like right now. Last week was my 1st time fishing hard for a while.

At 1st I was trying to avoid every rock on the Canal when I was reeling in after a drift down current and I thought..."screw it..." and let them bang around a bit to see what would happen, lol.

Wish I brought home my bag.....redface.gif.

Oh......for the record....Mustad hooks suck BAD. I mean they turn orange overnight, lol. I was really surprised. My VMC's are still new looking.

Not really worth the extra buck or 2 you save imo.

View PostIt's not pointless. I have no clue what I should expect out of my plugs for the long or short term. people before me, who have had a chance to fish one of their own plugs for a whole season could tell me how they fare.

If I can correct, or enhance a few things i do and make a plug that will hold a bit better, I would like to.

I agree with you mokes. It would be nice to have the hardest finish possible if the benefits of the hard finish justify the effort. We don't have a bluefish problem on the west coast, unfortunately! Wish I could go catch bluefish right now.

View PostI agree with you mokes. It would be nice to have the hardest finish possible if the benefits of the hard finish justify the effort. We don't have a bluefish problem on the west coast, unfortunately! Wish I could go catch bluefish right now.

Personally for now at least, I think Etex is a nice compromise for a solid, thick finish that has some give and flexibility for getting whacked around.

I looked into Systems 3, which I really wanted to use, but either I am stupid, or that stuff is VERY expensive, lol. Plus Etex is available at AC Moore here and I can use a 50% coupon for it. icon14.gif

I don't care if I get known at all for my work, nor do I plan on selling plugs, unless in the future I decide to do it on a limited basis per my free time to make some extra cake for the shop fund. I'm pretty lazy though.....I don't see that happening, lol.

I just want to know that plugs I give to people aren't big huge pieces of crap, lol.

I won't lie and say I didn't have a big **** eating grin on my face when I signed my 1st plug either. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

View PostWhat's the wear like on your commerical plugs, Mokes?

I only own 3 plugs. All Gibbs. I never fished them much tbh. They are beat up though. Seems to be zero top coat on them. If anything it's a really thin coat?

I only own a couple commercials too. The only I fished much was a Gibbs pencil. After say 10 hours it had a good hook rash but the rest of the finish was good.

Unfortunately testing ended because I lost it and it was on a huge fish too, (according to me)!

View PostI only own a couple commercials too. The only I fished much was a Gibbs pencil. After say 10 hours it had a good hook rash but the rest of the finish was good.

Unfortunately testing ended because I lost it and it was on a huge fish too, (according to me)!

Ummm that would mean the testing was a success, your retie ratio per cast sucks though. wink.gif Just Kidding

View PostWho cares???? If you want them pretty lock them up in a safe. Fish them

clapping.gifclapping.gif Listen to the Knighted one, he speaks the truth.