Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kroc

Hook Removers

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a hook removing device for stripers, bluefish, and sharks. It will be mostly for surf fishing. I was looking at Arc, Baker hook out, and Rapala hook removers. Can anyone reccomend a decent one at a reasonable price. I don't want a piece of junk, but don't want to spend over 30 bucks.

Thanks

I've been using the baker hook out and I really like it. It serves it's purpose well and it's held up to the elements. A good tool over all

A good pair of pliers that will hold up to the water are what many people use for bluefish and bass. I have fishpond pliers and they are very good. As for sharks I have no clue what to use. Pliers might be too short and can be dangerous, but I've never fished for sharks before.

-Vinny

This is the next best tool I ever bought right after my Boga Grip. It's been hanging off my surf belt for 6 years and still in great shape. I reach for this tool before the pliers.

Rapala 15" Hook Remover

The single best safety item I have bought in the past 5 years

Most people dont understand exactly how they work. Once someone shows you how to use it, you are hooked for life.

Good tool.

Basically the same as that pic above -

raprhrl.jpg

These are not like that old school Baker that is kinda a extended plier kinda mess. These allow you to fully control a hook or shaft of a hook where you can push pull or twist it any way you needed to. Really needs to be demoed -

View PostWhat is the name/brand of this device?

I never really seen a brand name, they are just called a hook remover. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Fishing Headquarters, Calcutta, Rapala all sell basically the same model. Some have plastic handles, some have stainless steel handles. I got mine at Effingers. Once you use it, you will not want to use anything else. It is that easy and that quick. No struggling with pliers. The tool just turns the hook out, even the deep ones.

View PostI never really seen a brand name, they are just called a hook remover. Cabelas, Bass Pro, Fishing Headquarters, Calcutta, Rapala all sell basically the same model. Some have plastic handles, some have stainless steel handles. I got mine at Effingers. Once you use it, you will not want to use anything else. It is that easy and that quick. No struggling with pliers. The tool just turns the hook out, even the deep ones.

Thanks, I found it at cabelas and ordered one.

For the person asking about what to use for sharks. Very simple, a 3' to 3.5' rounded piece of Oak with a "V" cut into the end. You put the "V" on the wire leader and follow it right down to the hook. Once you have the hook in the "V", a solid twist and a push, hook comes right out every time. The crunch the teeth make on the Oak is bone chilling!

I realize you said device, but a larger needlenose pliers works well, especially on a kayak.It will however mar the hook,but in a pinch it will cut a hook if needed.