Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pricise10

Rod Marbling

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Guy's I just started to marble fishing rods. Let me tell u something, this takes more time then actually building a regular rod. Do u guys think its worth customizing a fishing rod this much? Is it worth selling this rods?

I would like to hear feedback on this as well. I watched the mudhole video and thought about trying it on my current rod under construction but am not totally sold yet...is it really that easy, does it breakdown or crack, does it stiffen the blank much???

No disrespect intended, but I'm a little puzzled by this.. headscratch.gif Compared to the talent that frequents this board, I'm a smacked-azz piker.. but I find marbling to very quick and easy.. mix up a little finish, pour out a few puddles to mix with pigment.. apply finish, drop a little color.. swirl it around.. walk away.. if it comes out looking like a nosebleed, do-overs are a snap.. As for it taking a lot of time.. it can't possibly take any longer than the pot life of the epoxy.. To me, its way easier than decorative thread work.. which takes actual skill and dexterity biggrin.gif here's one a did last night.. took about 15 minutes for both pieces:

6_26_10009.jpg

View PostExcellent work Dad! Is the white underneath the tie dye thread or a laminate of some type?

Painted it white... then used sulky prizim white over that (without CP)... just in case she wanted some white to show through... but she didn't.

I bought the CRB red, blue, and yellow... made green, purple, and orange.

made the 6 colors up with epoxy, and she went at it...

It all started by her wanting a "tie-dyed" rod, so we did just thatbiggrin.gif

Yes very easy to do mainly caude there is no pattern doesnt have to look like anything. I have dont it on split grips and let my 8 yr do some of it. You can also let drops hit thr rotating blank and then push it aroind with a hair dryer, kind of a tie dyed shirt look.

I did a couple of marbling rods already. Hopefully I can load up the pics soon. One thing I know is that you can sell them much more then a cross wrap rod. A local b&t store told me that. It does get easy after 20 tries, no question about it. By the way, u do need lots of epoxy for the entire rod. If u guy's have any marble rods, upload ur pics.

google armbreaker custom rods.

and prepare to be amazed.........he has youtube vids on a ton of builds and they are just as cool. In hd as well