Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
supertuna

Sustain 3000FE for bones?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I have been looking at getting a sustain 3000FE for bones and maybe permit on the flats. I don't know what anyone thinks about the reel, Is it a good one for bones? I was going to pair it with a Teremar 7' M power and MH action, and then spooling the reel with 10LB. Spiderwire Ultracast Invisi-braid with a fluoro leader. Does that set up sound good, or would anyone recommend a different set up? Thanks! D smile.gif

I have that reel and use it with an Ultralight 7' rod. It's a very nice reel but for bonefish on the flats, the minimum I go is a Stella 4000 and a 9' steelhead rod with my Twinpower SW 5000 and Legend 8' rod being my standard. The bonefish in my area can reach over 10lbs. which makes the 3000 a challenge but should be a lot of fun.

Ok, well I'll wait for more info... my friend told me that a 3000FE would work fine, and maybe even a 2500FE. Also, where exactly do you fish? I am fishing in the Caribbean and am not sure if bones get that big down here.? Thanks! smile.gif

For bones I think you're fine. Heck, my go-to reels for years down in the Keys were Mitchell 309/ 409's until I "upgraded" to gold series Daiwas in 1000 size. Permit is another story, you might be undergunned on them.

I think you'll be fine w/ that size reel. In fact, on one episode of the Larry Dahlberg fishing show last year, he caught a 70lb sailfish on the same Sustain 3000FE(granted he is on a boat though).

"> kWukSEMScf4

Ok, I'll agree that he'll be alright with the 3k if you're a gamer. I guess I'm the type that likes to be a little overpowered for the fish I target. When we walk the flats, Shimano 5k size is the norm and many fishermen go bigger in capacity just in case a GT takes the hook which is not uncommon.

View PostI wish we had that kind of dilemma over here.

It does become a factor and does alter your planning as far as selecting your rod and reel/tackle on every occasion. Plugging, as well as baitcasting - there's always that factor that a GT will take it.

If the tide is high enough, large GT's (Ulua) come in to feed on the mullets, baby goatfish (oama - the Hawaiian name) and Halalu, (Baby Mackeral) in the flats. As a matter of fact, my friend just texted me 2 days ago that one grabbed his light setup and he got spooled using a glow squid lure during the day. I'm betting he'll be upping his gear the next time out. biggrin.gif He's already asking me what I use.

St. Croix rods are what I use but it's not common in Hawaii. The Shimano Tiralejo is more common and readily available in our stores.

I'm betting my Sustain 3kE will not handle a big GT and the bonefish here can get large at the places I fish. Anything over 10lbs, IMO - the Sustain 3K will be a challenge but very much possible and fun. Just make sure you pinch your barbs on the hooks so if you lose it, the fish will be able to shake in the future.

A 3000 size Shimano reel is perfect for bones especially the sustain. I've cought everything from snook, snapper, huge barracudas and jacks on my go to reel a Shimano Stradic 3000FI.