Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OysterSoup

How much wind is just too much to efficient fly cast?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I think it is more dependent on the direction in relation to which direction you are casting. For example, a 20 mph wind quartering against you is tough, but 20 mph wind at your back, different story. Also depends on your line, shooting head, long belly, sinking or floater, etc...

thanks, I'm brand new to fly fishing and got the basics down and can get a good cast off with minimal wind. I took the fly rod to the beach the other day with 13 mph winds gusting up to 21, and me being new, it was impossible for me to cast. I was thinking, 'Is it even possible to cast with this amount of wind'? I'm sure experienced fly casters could pull it off but just wanted to make sure if I should even attempt casting with that amount of wind again...I suppose I'll try again when I get my double haul down correctly, with maybe a little less wind than last time.

Depends on the size of your fly rod and line, but when false casting when your back cast collaspe that is when it is too much wind!

You should try and practice in all conditions. Tightening your loops and if the fishing situation allows, casting sinking lines will help in the wind. Sinking lines, being of thinner diameter, cut through the wind better.

The more you practice in adverse conditions, the better you will be at overcoming them.

O

Into the wind, I can make do up to about 30 mph. Wind into my casting arm, it depends on how confident I am...I've been able to cast with 20-25 into my casting arm but if I mess up I'm glad I'm wearing long fishing pants cause otherwise I would have been hooked by now...by my own hand. Wind at my back, it's wide open cause there's a few ways to take advantage of that. Wind from my non casting side not so bad either.

I've done this on big boddies in sweet water and will likely do it this year in the surf (just been in harbors and backwaters so far for salt water)... But if the wind is strong into your casting arm (casting with rod in right hand wind from right) and your worried about getting nailed as the fly passes you... I some times cast backwards.

Literally rotate 180 and cast. Only instead of shooting your forward cast, shoot your back cast. It sounds funny, but I've had that work well in a good blow time to time over the years.

If the wind is in your face, but ushing fish and bait too, then a couple feet is ok.

A few years ago during a NE er, I was getting laughed at on the beach. It was crowded with spin casters, as the fish were everywhere, but I was getting wrapped in line every single time I tried to throw my line. I think I was laughing at myself as well.

Antway. I had to wait til gusts semi died down and get off a 20 foot cast in a very small window. And sure enough every time I did that I had a fish.

It was very rewarding to stick it out and figure out a way to catch.

Hope I didn't bore you.