Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1MoreCast

Clear swivel?!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Im not sure how new it is, I just saw it while looking for some terminal stuff. Its called the aquateko, claims to be virtually indestructable. Anyone heard/use these?

well ill be buying a bunch of stuff tomm, wader belt, new gear, 10' MOJO, so if I see them ill grab some and re-post. Something tells me they wont hold up to a school of blues

i've used them, and yes they're amazingly cool and strong, but i stopped using swivels earlier this year and just tied knots braid to fluoro/mono. you won't be disappointed. i haven't caught any enormous fish on them like tuna, cudas, tarpon but they work inshore

also, i know they claim to be indestructible but i've never had any type of swivel fail on me so i can't say they're better or worse than any others i've used, and it's new this year i believe

View Postwe lost a big threasher on a good swivle once. now all i use are ball bearing's they are the best.

You should have known better using those cheap swivels. Fishing Shark you should have been using Sampo. There expensive but you get what you pay for.

I bet you were using Tsunami.

i've broken all sorts of swivels and snap combos... some due to weak materials, some due to corrosion, some due to poor design....

i've seen these plastic swivels a few months ago.... i'm not personally willing to sacrifice a catch on these.... i don't think they will hold up to jetty duty... not after the fiasco i went through with the plastic SeaStriker clip on sinker slides.... i'm giving up on plastics...

now i only use Sampo ball bearing swivel snaps. they're expensive, but they have never failed me...

the Tsunami 130lbs rated swivel clips, seemed like a great deal, until they rusted apart after one trip... even the new ones in my plug bag... GARBAGE...

If a bass is put off by a tiny Spro swivel 5 feet away from my plug then so be it. I can tell you one thing though - anything moving through the water fast enough creates a tiny bubble trail and clear swivel or not or not, bluefish are still going to zero in on that bubble trail and bite at its source, I promise you.

I was give a few to try out and they do work. They are actually flexible, which surprised me.

That said, unless you're fishing gin clear water for leader shy fish, in which case I wouldn't even use a swivel, I can't see the benefit. Iin fact, they are larger than comparably rated metal swivels. The only benefit that I can think of here in the NE, is that it may prevent a cocktail bluefish from hitting your swivel and losing your lure/jig/rig.

View PostI was give a few to try out and they do work. They are actually flexible, which surprised me.

That said, unless you're fishing gin clear water for leader shy fish, in which case I wouldn't even use a swivel, I can't see the benefit. Iin fact, they are larger than comparably rated metal swivels. The only benefit that I can think of here in the NE, is that it may prevent a cocktail bluefish from hitting your swivel and losing your lure/jig/rig.

The most effective lure I've ever used for cocktail blues was a clear Zara Pup, true story.

View PostThe most effective lure I've ever used for cocktail blues was a clear Zara Pup, true story.

I have a clear version of the Robert's Bounder. Works great on bright, clear days headscratch.gif

I have fished with 50lb. dacron from several bridges tied direct to the lure and have landed bass after bass the entire night. I don't see the reason for a plastic swivel. When fish are feeding nothing and I mean nothing will stand in their way of getting to your lure or bait. Granted there maybe nights when the fish are picky, this is where your true fisherman instincts come into play.

IMO a clear swivel is just another gimmick.

Carlos