Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
supertuna

Best rod for Orvis Battenkill...

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I am looking at getting an Orvis Battenkill large arbor reel for flats fishing bones in the BVI's Bahama,s and Roques, and maybe permit fishing too! I have NEVER fly fished in my life, but it looks like a FUN sport. I HAVE done deep sea fishing and inshore fishing with spinning reels, but am now looking at Fly fishing! The Orvis Battenkill looks like the best reel for me (considering I'm a kid and don't have a very large budget!), and i am trying to figure out a good rod to complete the combo... I don't know if there is another reel that might be better (in the same price range) and then what a good rod would be for THAT reel! Any ideas? Thanks! smile.gif

View PostSTOP!!!!!Learn to cast first.Plain and Simple.

By that you mean with a fly rod, or spinning reel? If it's with a spinning reel then I have, but fly... well I'll be learning that once i get my rod. I have a friend who will teach me...

Not trying to discourage you, but flats fishing for bonefish and permit is some of the most difficult fly fishing there is. Its definitely not something to start out on. You should think about maybe bass and bluegills.

Thanks for the info! I will look into the sage reel, Thanks! But my only hesitation on the sage is if it is QUALITY. I don't want to be buying something that will corrode or rust FAST, considering I am in a saltwater environment. As for starting with blues and bass, well I live on a boat in the Caribbean, so I can't really fish those species... but I will try other inshore species like jack. Thanks again! smile.gif

View PostBy that you mean with a fly rod, or spinning reel? If it's with a spinning reel then I have, but fly... well I'll be learning that once i get my rod. I have a friend who will teach me...

If a friend is going to teach you.Then use their equipment and see what will work for you.Your casting stroke very well will be different from the person teaching you.You can get "a feel" of what may work for you then match the equipment to your casting style than buying the equipment and trying to adapt to the equipment.

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif #4 user_online.gifflytyingguy1 vbmenu_register("postmenu_7334491", true);

6,000 Post Club!

report.gif

icon1.gifI post this alot to all newbies

If a newbie asked me what to get I'd tell him NOT TO BUY A THING!!!

I'd tell him to look for a Flyfishing Club in his area ( In NY There is the Saltey Fly Rodders Of NY ) among many in all states. I'd tell him to look them up & attend a meeting. Most of the fishing clubs have web-sites & contacts! I would also tell him to get on-line & do some searches on Flyfishing for beginners or flyfising 101. There is so much to learn rather than run out & buying a Rod you no nothing about! These clubs will take you in under there wings & teach you the Right way! You have to do some research! Go down to the beach,look for someone that's flyfishing, be polite & approch them & ask them if they mind you asking some questions. Most of us are nice guy's & girls. They will be glad to answer your questions. Its not like you go get a spinning outfit,their's so much more involved. Fly fishing can be real expencive! Rods cost under a $100.00 & can cost $1,000.00s same with reels, You need line & there are 3 basic. Floating,Sinking & Intermediate. Which a good one will cost you $60.00. There's Fly's, Leaders, all sorts of differnt things that you'll either need or want!

If you go out & buy a Rod in a week you might not like it! That's why I say DON'T Buy Anything until you have checked around. All these clubs have meetings once a month & before the meeting weather permitted they cast outside before the meetings. There are at least 10 guys with 10 different outfits that would be happy to let you try & give you a lesson free of charge. Theres Rods that one guy has that the other guy doesn't like so no one can tell you what to get!!! You have to like the feel for yourself. A beginner will cast a softer Rod better than a fast taper. I own more than 20 Rods & all are different for different fishing conditions. A all around surf Rod I would recommend a 9weight but which one I couldn't tell you.

I will tell you once you get your feet wet,The fish isn't the only one that will be hooked! It's a whole different world out there & there is no turning back. There is so much to learn & I learn every time I go out. I'm no expert but if there is a Newbie looking for some answers shoot me a PM & I'd be glad to spend some time trying to help you out, even willing to meet & let you try out a few rods. I'm not into selling my Rods or pushing anyones product! I Just Love the sport & would be glad to pass on any help I can. I also will be giving Fly Tying Demo's at a local shop sometime this winter. There is NO CHARGE It's just showing people another aspect of the sport. Everything from Flys, Teasers,Bucktails ETC. There is nothing more rewarding than catching a fish on something that you made yourself.

The reason being if you go out & buy a set up now a month down the road your skills will become better & the Rod you bought may not be the rod for you.

I highly recommend you try & hook up with a Club like the Atlantic Fly Rodders located in NJ or some other club in your area & talk to the guys.

Most Fly Fishers are great guys & will bend over backwards to help out a new comer in any way the can.

Most of the high end rods today are a bit stiffer & are a little harder to cast for a newbie. Some like a softer Flex which in turn will cast slower.

There is a hugh learning curve in Fly Fishing & I would not recommend you running out there & spending a lot of money because some sales person says it's the best!

Like stated above you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a decent set-up. You have to decide what you plan on doing. A lot of the rods today are 4 piece which have a great advantage if you travel a lot. But you can pick up a rod say a Temple Fork 2 piece 9wgt 9' for about $125.00. I very nice rod at a great price with a life time warranty. Then you can go out & buy a $700 Sage Or Loomis. It won't mae you a better fisherman.

Learn all you can before you go running out & spending all that money & ask as many questions as you can. Remember the only "Stupid Question" is the one you didn't ask! Good Luck & we'ree here if you need us.......Ron

No worries on the sage reel so long as you rinse it in fresh water after use... For bass and blues and albies Ive not had a problem with it...Bonus is at 99 bucks if dropped overboard in deep water its no loss.....

View PostNo worries on the sage reel so long as you rinse it in fresh water after use... For bass and blues and albies Ive not had a problem with it...Bonus is at 99 bucks if dropped overboard in deep water its no loss.....

ill second that this is the reel i have paired up with my loomis GLX and it hasent failed me yet this will be the 4th season ive had it