Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff B

Extreme Surfcasting - the Commercial angle...

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I had the pleasure of talking with a guy this past weekend over a few beers about all things fishing. Came to find out he lives on eastern Long Island and is an "old hat" at fishing Montauk.

I asked if he ever saw any of those wacko "Extreme" surfcaster dudes who wetsuit out to rocks and spend half the night there. He says "oh sure, that was me -had to make a living somehow!". This fella says for several years a large part of his income was earned on those rocks catching as many bass as he could pull back to the mainland behind him to sell at the market.

I was amazed! He shared story after story of his trips.

...How gillnetters would zero in on which rocks they were fishing which night using infared binoculars and spotlights, then drop their nets as close to that particular rockpile as possible - essentially wiping out the productive surfcasting for the next few days before the rock hoppers found more fish.

...how just about each year one of his colleaugues wouldn't make it back to the beach one night.

...how if you misjudged your take and overall weight, you had to unlash a few bass on the swim back.

...how if the gillnetters were to agressive, they would show up in the morning to find theor nets shredded and sinking.

...how in response more than a few rounds were sent over the rocks to warn off another silly net sabotage.

And there was more. Very very interesting.

The whole time I was wondering - did Frank ever do it that way? wink.gif

Anyone have any other inside info on how this used to go?

Sounds like beer talk to me. You know that Montauk is a drinking town with a fishing problemwink.gif

I recall someone saying that nobody who has wetsuited the rocks has died. A few have ended up offshore, but they all lived. Any more info? Wheres Melnyk?

JC

Yeah me too.

Who's Melnyk? This guy scoffed at a reference to someone who coined the term "Extreme surfcasting", abd I think Melnyk was the name. Not sure. A magazine article or something maybe?

This guy seemed pretty straight about his story.

Lets try put this in perpective. Your gonna wetsuit out to catch a commercial quantity of bass, swim in with a rope full of blood and gurry to sell and compete with acouple of guys who are setting gillnets in the area from boats, shoot afew rounds to scare off the competitors. The guys in a wetsuit would have to carry all that fish through the zone and up to a truck, to later pack out and ship. I can't imagine lugging 200+ llbs of fish up a beach or bluff when the price has to be the lowest because if they are on the beach, they have been in the rips for weeks. I just doesn't make sense. Besides you know the stories of guys being pulled off "Weakfish" by their stringers; yanked from something larger between them and the beach.

Sure there are guys who surfcast and sell their catch, but they are subsistance fisherman, retirees who are trying to stretch their pensions and hang on to a few more days each Fall. I could name them , but I won't.

Great story, but I bet the Margaritas were better. Jameson, I've also never heard of anyone dying yet from swimming the rocks. A few guys have died with their waders on, but I don't recall any wetsuiters.

Shag

Shag

One of the originators of "EXTREME" fishing was "the Professor" Jack Freck who donned a wetsuit and used it to fish offshore rocks all over Long Island back in the 60's and 70's.

As far as I can recall the only few people who died surfcasting were wearing waders.

There are a bunch of story tellers and chest beaters around, makes it real interesting to hear what people dream up in their own world.

Mike Lang

------------------

usa3.gif