Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Canal Intruder

Fishing Story!

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

While fluke fishing in Nj,outside the rips. I was drifting a chub on a gold fluke rigand got slammed!!!! I fought the fish for a half hour and was able to get it into the boat. Im from Ma and have never seen this fish that was an accident weighing 79lbs and 50 inchs. I dont know why the hook diddnt break nor the 20 lb test line, but it was a red Drum. LMFAO!!! Pictures to follow, but i never dreamed of catching this awesome fish.

Peace

Henry

Ps are Drum fish this big to eat?? I released this one cause my brother in law said they are loaded with parasites.

View PostWhile fluke fishing in Nj,outside the rips. I was drifting a chub on a gold fluke rigand got slammed!!!! I fought the fish for a half hour and was able to get it into the boat. Im from Ma and have never seen this fish that was an accident weighing 79lbs and 50 inchs. I dont know why the hook diddnt break nor the 20 lb test line, but it was a red Drum. LMFAO!!! Pictures to follow, but i never dreamed of catching this awesome fish.

Peace

Henry

Ps are Drum fish this big to eat?? I released this one cause my brother in law said they are loaded with parasites.

Nice. Id love to see pics of this guy.

it was probably a black drum. they are very good to eat but very hard to fillet. they do carry worms but they ave very easy to find and remove. ive also been told that the worms drum carry are actually harmless.

sounds like a red drum

time to look up the record book to see if you're qualified highfive.gif

but you released the fish eh? at least that's still something to brag about when you beers.gifwink.gif

Did it look like this??

The little ones are good eats but the big ones are like any other big fish not as tasty as the little ones. There goo blackened.

I haven't heard of any Reds in this area?? don't think they come up north. There a southern water Fish.

The world record red drum was caught in NC in 1984 and weighed a little over 94lbs. In most states the fish you describe is illegal to possess. Max sixe in NC is 27" and is the same in most states. SC is 25"

While it is possible that you caught a fifty inch red it would not weigh 79 lbs, IMHO, based on personal experience with both sized fish. Black drum color can vary greatly, depending on many factors. Here is an example of a "golden" black drum.

Here is a very large black which appeared golden at times, estimated weight 70 lbs.

Here is a fifty inch red, calculated weight about fifty lbs, imagine this fish weighing 29 more lbs at the same lenght!