Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Bigdeal

Cleaning Terminal Connections..........help.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Starting to see some white corrosive build up around the terminals in the rear jump seat.........battery to Outboard connection.

Any suggestions on what to clean this with and what or what not to put on it to prevent any further corrosion.

Thanks...........

Take your connections apart. Grounds off first and back on last. A wire brush will take off the corrosion down to bright metal. A battery brush will make it easier to clean inside the clamps. I use a spray electronics contact cleaner on all the brushed parts and let dry. Re-assemble and spray liberally with corroasioin inhibitor like battery terminal protection spray. All my terminals get this treatment prior to spring launch. Have funbiggrin.gif

View Postand remember, don't use wing nuts to secure them !!

View Posthex-nuts and star washers! highfive.gif

Really? What is your reason for this? Preventing it from loosening? Doesn't a hex nut and a wingnut have the same 'gripping power'? I can understand if it makes it easier to knock the wingnut accidentally, but that seems sorta low percentage...

View PostTake your connections apart. Grounds off first and back on last. A wire brush will take off the corrosion down to bright metal. A battery brush will make it easier to clean inside the clamps. After you reassemble, cover the connected terminal with petroleum jelly, batteries will be fine all summerbiggrin.gif

View Posthex-nuts and star washers! highfive.gif

Just say no to wing nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View PostReally? What is your reason for this? Preventing it from loosening? Doesn't a hex nut and a wingnut have the same 'gripping power'? I can understand if it makes it easier to knock the wingnut accidentally, but that seems sorta low percentage...

You can tighten a hex-nut tighter and the star washer resists vibration. Loose battery connection is the number 1 cause of failure to start

View Postand remember, don't use wing nuts to secure them !!

Wing nuts are OK. icon14.gif Use a lock washer under 'em (star washers are one and done) and never just hand tighten. Grab a wrench or appropriate pliers and give 'em a crank. Be careful not to torque off a "wing". They can be tightened as well as a hex nut. And, of course, periodically check your connections. There's a lot of vibration going on in "the hole in the water some people just keep throwing money in".biggrin.gif

Yeah wing nuts are okay, if I stepped on a boat and had to run 100 miles through snotty weather, I wouldn't turn back because the batteries had wing nuts. But what the ****, you spend tens of thousands for this boat, go to the hardware store and buy some SS hex nuts, its a common thread and you'll get a tighter connection

View PostYeah wing nuts are okay, if I stepped on a boat and had to run 100 miles through snotty weather, I wouldn't turn back because the batteries had wing nuts. But what the ****, you spend tens of thousands for this boat, go to the hardware store and buy some SS hex nuts, its a common thread and you'll get a tighter connection

OOps - I should have specified that I was talking about SS hardware. Loveheart.gif SS