Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BunnaRos

No Macs today..

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

wow you guys, i went out today with my girl and my cousin... and we caught close to nothing... we started the day at 920, and tried fishing all the way to 2pm, and during that time span, all i got was 1 mac and 2 pollock.

have anyone eles notice this same situation today?

oh yeah, wondering why are the pollock so early this year...? they are also big.

-toe

View PostYou in a boat or shore?

Anyway you do it the trick is to chum, chum and chum some more. Once you find them they'll stay right there.

Can you chum from shore?

View PostCan you chum from shore?

Absolutely, and you can have great success doing it. Just pick a spot like a point, pier, or end of a jetty that has good current flowing by it for most of the tide. Get there just as the tide is starting to move, set out whatever type of chum you want to use, and keep it going throughout the tide.

You may have to wait a bit for the first fish to show, but once they do, you will have constant action from mackerel and pollock, and if you're in an area that holds stripers, you may get some very nice fish that will be attracted to the chum directly, and to the baitfish that the chum attracts.

The whole thing requires a bit of effort, so you'll almost never see anyone doing it, but it can be deadly if you are patient. I haven't done it for years, but when I used to on a couple of my favorite ledge spots, it was definitely worth the trouble and the few extra bucks spent on chum.

Thanks I want to give that a try next time I go out, for chum do you use saco bay's chum? or make your own? out of?

How much and how often do you throw it out?

I have never chumed from shore or a boat and know nothing about it, but I like the ider of it, and am already thinking of a couple of spots that it could work highfive.gif

Tobias

I used to do it when I was a kid, so I used whatever I could get for chum, most often old mackerel or herring that had been frozen and refrozen so it wasn't much use for hook bait anymore. I would just mash it up by hand in a bucket with some seawater and toss a bit into the water at a time.

A much easier way would be to just get a block of frozen chum and hang it in the water in a mesh bag with a rope tied to it in a spot where the current will wash over it to create a chum slick. If you want to fish for a whole tide, you might want to bring a couple of the smaller blocks and put one in the bag and leave the rest in a cooler to stay frozen until the first one runs out.

The amount you will need depends on current flow, water temp, and wave action, so you'll just have to try it out a few times to get a sense of how much you will need in the spot you pick. In general though, it takes a lot less than you would think. Just a slow trickle of particles and a visible oil slick on the surface is plenty to attract mackerel and pollock, which should in turn attract stripers.

Good luck if you try it - let me know how you do

i think this is a good idea... i think im going to spend a little bit of time one day and create some chum block n freeze em. i heard caatfood plays a role in it, plus oatmeal n some other stuff

the tackle shop on india st has nice sized blocks of chum, 7lbs, I think. Works well and is enough to last a tide. A 5 gal frozen pail for sharking etc would likely be too much.

View Posti think this is a good idea... i think im going to spend a little bit of time one day and create some chum block n freeze em. i heard caatfood plays a role in it, plus oatmeal n some other stuff

I use hannaford ocean whitefish canned cat food ( cheap ) a can or 2 of cheap oily tuna, some clam broth and a couple of cans of jack mackeral in brine, a big tub of rolled outs, mix it all up in a big bucket amd pack it in those small disposable ziploc containers, stack em up in the freezer. When you go out get yourself a chum ( net) bag.

When you get on them, chum like hell and they'll stay right with the boat or if you are on shore.

I make my own Chum SBT is great but I prefer my own mix

The cheapest dry Fish flavored cat food.

A bag of rice or risosto ( very small pasta work good and it floats a bit)

1 can tuna in oil

I buy the herring oil milk from SBT $10 quart (mixes with water)

I also keep all of my dead bait and grind up and add

I dont frezze it I keep in a small covered pailo and throw a cup out at a time

and like magic they come.

I fished on Sunday no Chum. Worked in between the lobster traps in about 60 FOW did not hammer them but plenty enough for bait. no Pollock ( I call them brown devils) Managed 2 fish both over 30" als had a clean bite off I think mr blue was around the balloon did not shake and run like a striper just bang and out of sight for a a few seconds and then back up. 30lb Flouro clean cut

Good LUck

keep those reciept flowing in guys! im going to try these all, deff work the frozen blocks and the liquid batches... thanks guys!

IF i can get my motor back from my cousin... im deff taking it out on the ocean... love to see what kind of fishing i can do out in the open water... would a small fresh water tin can boat work, with a 8hp engine?

View Post

IF i can get my motor back from my cousin... im deff taking it out on the ocean... love to see what kind of fishing i can do out in the open water... would a small fresh water tin can boat work, with a 8hp engine?

How big is the boat? Doesn't sound like open water trips to me. Maybe in and around the islands of Casco Bay. You can get lucky every once in a while with seas of 1ft or less but an 8hp engine isn't going to do much for you if you get into some squirly water.

JPA

i would have to say the boat is about a 14 or 16 footer...and 5 or 6 feet wide. we took this boat on open water, rough open water and im still here today.. it was a little scary but hey, it did it's job and we did come back that day with lots of fish.(many many years ago)

but then again, i don't think i should be takin it on open water UNTIL, i can fix the boat a little bit...