Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Dipper

Mojo Series Reel Seat Defect: St Croix Responds - "Isolated Incident"

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

I'm considering purchasing a Mojo Surf rod from St. Croix, but have been concerned about reports I've been reading about defective reel seats manifesting themselves after only a small amount of use. I sent an inquiry to St. Croix on June 16th and received no response. I resent the inquiry again on June 24 and received a reply on the same day.

My inquiry:

I was considering purchasing one of the St. Croix Mojo surf rods, but I've come across discussions in fishing forums that the Mojo series has a defective reel seat and flocking (http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...=729397&page=5, etc...) . Is this a known defect? Is St. Croix doing anything to address this? Is there a recall on these? How widespread is this problem? ... I would want to be assured that the rod provides me with many years of trouble-free fishing.

Here is the text of the email I received from Rich Belanger of St Croix:

Thanks for the email, we appreciate. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been working with the service department collecting any available data on issues with Mojo Surf rods. It appears the rod shown in thread is a very isolated problem and service shows we have only received 1 other Mojo with the same issue. The reel seat is a very tight fit on the blank, and has plenty of surface area for the glue to adhere. It would appear in that instance that some of the glue was pushed out as the seat was pulled down the blank. As for the shrink tube, if an inadequate amount of glue was used to hold the shrink tube in place, it is possible for it to creep up the blank during use, as evidenced by the photos.

As I stated before, it is an isolated incident and should not be your determining factor in a rod purchase. We stand behind our products 100% and will do everything we can to maintain your confidence in St. Croix.

Rich Belanger

Promotion Manager

St. Croix Rod

856 4th. Avenue North

Park Falls, Wi. 54552

You can draw your own conclusions, but I'm a little concerned that it took over a week to get back to me despite the fact that they only had two documented instances of the problem that required warranty service. If this isn't a pervasive issue, why did it take so long to respond? Also, it seems that there are at least a half dozen people in the Massachusetts Fishing forum alone that have encountered this problem, so I'm thinking this defect is far more extensive then St. Croix is owning up to.

Are there any current Mojo Surf owners out there that are using these rods without any problems? Has it gotten worse, better, stabilized? Do you think it may be dependant on the type of reel that you mount? Or is the overall build quality of these rods just inferior? Having problems in the first few months of use seems like an ominous tell-tale sign of worse things to come. Is this just an "isolated incident" as St. Croix claims, or are the reel seat issues that people are experiencing persistent and widespread?

I've been using mine as my "go to" rod since the fish showed up the first week in May. Initally, I thought the reel seat had an issue. But I wasn't sure?headscratch.gif There were times the reel felt slightly loose, but in my case, I determined the problem (if you call it that) was due to the ring which tightens the reel onto the reel seat, loosening slightly between casts/fish. I found I had to tighten it slightly every hour or so.

However, that was when the rod was brand new. Now that salt and grit has got into the threads, it's been fine, and no signs of loosening at all.highfive.gif

I like the rod so much, I'm buying another, and putting my conventionals into semi retirement.

That being said, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I did see a Mojo (not mine) with total reel seat failure about a week ago.cwm15.gif

but not with a St Croix but instead with a Lamiglas. Like what you experienced, "the ring which tightens the reel onto the reel seat, loosening slightly between casts/fish. I found I had to tighten it slightly every hour or so".

My fix was to wrap teflon tape tightly on the threads, Haven't had any repeat issues since I did this fix.

View Post......

That being said, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I did see a Mojo (not mine) with total reel seat failure about a week ago.cwm15.gif

I didn't see it, but most likely it happened to the same person I heard it from a week or so ago.

I had a vague "loose" feeling in the seat area at first. I switched over to an older Emblem Pro and it went away totally--I jigged with the Mojo for 3 solid hours last Monday night and threw plugs all morning today. The seat is now solid.

I'm thinking that the reel I was using at first has a different foot or the end of the foot is chipped somehow--it might have been sliding back and forth a fraction of an inch even with the locking nut tightened all the way.

I'm in the habit of checking an uplocking nut every 5-6 casts, because the heel of your hand can loosen it. That's why I prefer to have my customs built with a down-locking reel seat nut. But no factory spinning rods seem to be built that way frown.gif

If the seat is tight to the blank and there's no bushing under it, I wouldn't worry. It's going to come loose right away or not at all. Some of the older reel seat problems that St Croix had with the "Bend Over" series was the use of non-porous material like cardboard to create a bushing between the seat and the blank.

I just bought a 2 to 6 oz today, we'll see how it goes.

The way St Croix stands behind their stuff there's really not a lot to worry about I guess.

For what it's worth the 10000 SW seems to fit perfectly in the reel seat...wink.gif.

Hard to spend on yourself when you haven't for years....I'm working on it. smile.gif

View Post

Hard to spend on yourself when you haven't for years....I'm working on it. smile.gif

Attachment 373052

I know the feeling.shaky.gif I buy lots of lures and experiment with with making all sorts of jigs, plastics and baits. But when it comes to new outfits, I'm a real tight a$$.

I figured I'd never buy another canal rod unless I broke one of my old favs. Now here I am buying 2 in one year.redface.gif

I have the 10 ft 1-4 oz and my reel seat completely failed last night. Thing was spinning like a roulette wheel. Kinda disappointed, but all in all I love the rod. I paired it with a stella 10000 and have been using the set-up as my stand by all spring. May have to make the move to a 1 piece custom instead of going with the 2-6 oz mojo. Trip to New Bedford may be inevitable...

View PostI just bought a 2 to 6 oz today, we'll see how it goes.

The way St Croix stands behind their stuff there's really not a lot to worry about I guess.

For what it's worth the 10000 SW seems to fit perfectly in the reel seat...wink.gif.

Attachment 373052

You'll love it, awesome combo!!! I've been in some strange position's to avoid letting that girl touch the rock's...Especially on the way down!!!

View PostYou'll love it, awesome combo!!! I've been in some strange position's to avoid letting that girl touch the rock's...Especially on the way down!!!

That's a bummer on the reel seat....I'm sure St, Croix will take care of it ASAP.

I sent one of their Triumph series back that my son broke a couple years ago, and had a replacement back in about a week. By all accounts they are good to deal with.

Yea I already thought about the reel and the rocks....cwm31.gif I'll try to be a little careful with it but I bought it to fish so that's what it's going to do.icon14.gif

I'm on Vacation now when I get home to my tools I plan on removing the bail strike block and convert it to manual bail only, other than that it seems to be just what I was looking for in an all around Canal reel.

I have 2 mojos (the 9ft 3/4-4oz and the 10 1/2 foot 2-6oz rod) and they have performed very well to date.

St. Croix has a very good reputation for customer service. I would not worry about buying one of their rods.

Search around and you'll find that all brands of rods have issues now and again.

I have fished mine (10'6 2-6) very hard over the last 2 months. There is a little movement in the upper portion of the reel seat, but has not gotten worse (or better). The flocking crept up about 1/4 inch or so and also has not gotten any worse.

I say if you can find one, go buy it. They have a great warranty!

Also, maybe JDR will chime in on this, his seemed to be one of the more trouble rods out there....

View PostI have 2 mojos (the 9ft 3/4-4oz and the 10 1/2 foot 2-6oz rod) and they have performed very well to date.

St. Croix has a very good reputation for customer service. I would not worry about buying one of their rods.

Search around and you'll find that all brands of rods have issues now and again.

Same. I have both of these rods and no issues with either. The 9' is still pretty new, but "broke it in" a bit this morning. I have an EP 5500 on the 10'6" and Saltist 4500 on the 9'. Both feel solid with no movement in the reel seat.

if St. Croix' reputation wasn't what it is then I would be concerned.

They've proven time and time again to be a stand up company when it comes to their products and warranties.

I've dealt with st croix many of time's and their customer service is impeccable. However, the turnaround is going to be at least 2 weeks and I "need" a rod now! I've been leaning toward a one piece for jigging and may have to pull the trigger