Why does Power Pro get such a bad rap?

Rate this topic

bob_G

View PostOh, nothing against the Okuma... except it didn't seem to be very friendly to the 50lb PPro that's on it. My Stratus has been a very trusty and durable reel. I put PPRo on it hoping it would be better with it than my 704 was.... but alas... it still could have been the operator. redface.gif

I'M JUST VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THE PP.. TO MANY SNAP-OFFS, AND WINDKNOTS.. HEARING SOME DECENT THINGS ABOUT SUFIX. MAY GIVE THIS A TRY.. THANKS FOR THE INPUT..

just a little food for thought here w/ regards to different manufacturers of braid. Braid is made from spectra. there are no different types of spectra. it is what it is. the more strands of spectra, the higher the rating line. what differs between brands are the number of strands used in a braid (PP has 4, Daiwa/JB have 8), and coatings they put on the line for various reasons. these 2 differences may influence how a line behaves... just food for thought. TIFWIW

View Postjust a little food for thought here w/ regards to different manufacturers of braid. Braid is made from spectra. there are no different types of spectra. it is what it is. the more strands of spectra, the higher the rating line. what differs between brands are the number of strands used in a braid (PP has 4, Daiwa/JB have 8), and coatings they put on the line for various reasons. these 2 differences may influence how a line behaves... just food for thought. TIFWIW

I've heard this is true but I'm pretty sure Daiwa and I think JB as well is a dinema braid not spectra. Different company, different number of strands and different manufacturing process. From what I understand dinema is heated and stretched to achieve its thinner and smoother chareteristics (which also gives it a lower breaking point).

Stan Gibbs Cape Cod Canal Fisherman's Classic

Concerning windknots... I think it is all spool design on your reel. I love the new spool/reel designs we are seeing these days from okuma and shimano for example, but for me, I find that they are more prone to knotting up. If you make sure line is tight on there all the time it is better but not perfect. I find that reels with a spool that tapers at the top to be much better when it comes to wind knots. I fish a reel from the 70's (not a penn) that I have never had a wind knot with. I can throw a plug as hard as I can with it and perfect cast every time. I often outcast most everyone on the beach using a 9' rod with 6/20 diameter braid. I posted before that the line I like is the spiderwire ultracast and berkley crystal. I'm not going to mention the specific reel since I need to hoard them smile.gif THe old penn's with the tapered spool also work quite well. It seems that it all has to do with how the line comes off the spool when casting. These new spools may be designed to have line come off of them in an easier fashion, but I think that is where they tend to knot up. I can put an okuma or similarly shaped reel on the same rod I use my old reel on, same line, same plug etc and knot right up if I really heave it out there.

This is what I find anyway. Others may have had other results.....